Problems with Sata drive install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steve Max, Oct 20, 2005.

1. steve Max

steve Max Private First Class

I bought a samsung sata2 80 gig drive for my amd 64 3000+ machine. I have a 40gig wd drive and a 60 gig maxtor as slave. When I installed the sata2 drive (jumpered to sata) and booted the windows splash screen came on really faint and for maybe 40 secs later it will then brighten up and boot. At first I thought I had maybe moved the power to the vid card so checked that and it was still the same. So I diconnected the sata drive and everything was back to normal. I hooked it up outside the case and the same thing happens. When in windows everything is normal except for the slow boot. Why would it be doing this...I have a ocz 450watt ps on it so that you would think is enough. It is something that is just annoying, wondering what anyone thinks could make it do this..thanks sm

2. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

I think I know what that is. I had a similar problem with a CD-ROM drive and it turned out to be the auto detect process was getting stuck. The default wait time for detecting a drive is 30-40 seconds I think. You may be able to change that in the BIOS.

3. steve Max

steve Max Private First Class

forgot about that. went in changed it to 0 and still the same. worth a try though. thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds