Problems with system shutdown and audio device

Discussion in 'Software' started by Erik_787, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Erik_787

Erik_787 Private E-2

Let me first start off with my system info. I dont know how much to list, so if I've left something out, please let me know.

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
    Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
    DirectX 4.08.01.0810 (DirectX 8.1)

Motherboard:
    CPU Type Intel Pentium 4A, 2400 MHz (18 x 133)
    Motherboard Name Dell Inspiron 5100
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale i845PE
    System Memory 256 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Phoenix (04/28/03)

Display:
    Video Adapter MOBILITY RADEON 7500 (16 MB)
    Video Adapter MOBILITY RADEON 7500 (16 MB)
    3D Accelerator ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 (M7)
    Monitor Digital Flat Panel (1024x768)

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-0]

Storage:
    IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB
    Disk Drive HITACHI_DK23EA-30 (30 GB, 4200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
    Optical Drive MATSHITA UJDA360 (24x/10x/24x CD-RW)
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
    C: (NTFS) 28607 MB (15414 MB free)

Input:
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse HID-compliant mouse
    Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
    Network Adapter Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller (147.253.109.14)
    Modem Conexant D480 MDC V.92 Modem

I am having a couple of problems with my computer. First off, it wouldn't shut down/restart. When I tell it to do so, it nevers gets past the Logging Off screen and I have to manually turn it off. I was also having a lot of trouble with programs like Microsoft Outlook and AOL Instant Messenger freezing everytime I ran them. I called the tech support line for the computer that I have and the rep said that I needed to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows. I did so, and the computer seemed to shutdown fine for a while, but I again am having trouble with it. If I have run programs, then try and shutdown, it still freezes at the blue screen.

I again contacted tech support and the rep told me to increase my virtual memory to 1024 mb and I did so. This did not fix the problem though.

My second problem has to do with the sound device on my computer. I was having this problem before the reinstallation, and I am still having it now.

When I first boot up my computer, the sound device works fine. I can play music and hear the system sounds. However after a certain amount of time, it stops working. There is no sort of indicator that the device has stopped working, just all of the sudden I cant hear any sounds.

Before I reinstalled windows, I would get this error message when I would try and play music in Windows Media Player:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly."

However, after the reinstallation there is no error message, the songs just don't play.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for the C Major Audio device which I have on my computer several times and checked for updates, even though in the device manager it says that the device is working properly.

I know this is a lot of stuff, and I apologize if I have made a mistake while posting (I posted in the software forum, but im not sure if its a software or hardware problem). I would really appreciate any help you guys can offer, as I have called the tech support line of my computer company several times and they have no answers.

Again, thank you in advance,
    Erik

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I would not sweat the driver issue, but rather disable the sound card in your BIOS and run without it to eliminate or isolate it as a problem. This is how computer techs would work. Remove one thing at a time until you figure it out :) Obviously, you will not be able to use Media player, etc., but hopefully can determine that it now shuts down properly. Your also lacking service pack 2, so I hope you have other important system drivers like Intel chipset drivers, which might be worth a shot before removing the sound card... http://majorgeeks.com/download1667.html

3. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

Did you ever try just reseating the boards?

4. Erik_787

Erik_787 Private E-2

No, I havent. How do I do that?

5. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

Turn off your PC, make sure you are static free and reseat the circuit boards in your box. Gently pull them out, make sure the connectors are clean, and put them back. Make sure your connections are all good.

6. Erik_787

Erik_787 Private E-2

I dont really know my way around the inside of the computer. Is this something that I would have to take to a repair shop?

7. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

No, you pull it out, you put it back. But I wouldn't do it if you aren't comfortable with it. Probably a long shot anyway. It's the first thing I do when I'm troubleshooting at work, but that's not on PCs

8. Marked For Life

Marked For Life Private E-2

Hello. I don't have perhaps much advice for you, but I noticed you are having similar problems to what I am with my own pc.

I wondered, what AV/ASW (antivirus/anti spyware) program are you using? I ask b/c when my system lost sound, I was also getting this usrprbdA.exe error message on shut down(I haven't used my modem for years, since I have DSL), which became increasingly difficult until I had to start shutting mine down manually also. I ran an extra virus scan and my own utility found nothing. The device manager said all was fine. I decided to try a search for other AV/ASW programs, and found a free scan available. When it did the online scan, it located four trojans. On another search I located the current definition and information for one of the 'high risk' trojans, and I found out this specific trojan was sending its 'payload' to my system, creating folders, rewriting the registry, and causing the windows updates, as and my own personal antivirus program to stop working properly or sending me any new virus definitions, so nothing would show up as any new infections on my system. I was able to get rid of the trojans via the online scan and purchase of AV/ASW utility. All I see now on this programs' scans are little cookies. My old AV utility still runs on schedule. It still thinks all is fine. But now I get new defintions, and can keep the pc safe.

I see you don't have SP2...alot comes with that, I know, including security patches they should have had in the launch of XP. I wouldn't use Outlook at all, as it is a known culprit of delivery of viruses. I would find an online web based mailbox, where everything goes to their server, and through their filters before it can possibly get to your own system. But that is just me and my humble opinon.

Did you get the upgrade for WinMP? I did. Can't hear it though. And, yes, before I updated my sound card drivers, I did get the DirectPlay 0x80004005dll initialization failed error message. Now it says it is playing, but there is no sound. I just wanted to mention that as our problems do seem similar, maybe your system's virus program has been compromised.

I guess my input here has, as I figured, helped little if at all. I did want you to know that I know what you are going through in some ways, and I am sure people here better at these things can help you, and me. Do let us know if you have succeeded in fixing your audio. I haven't yet, but nothing new can get in again now.

~Marked For Life

9. Marked For Life

Marked For Life Private E-2

:confused: Erik~Try this maybe? I can't actually do it, because I have no audioconfig in my own registry, I think due to the trojan changing the registry before I could get rid of it, and have to find and download the missing files for my own registry

...But maybe this will work for you...

Open the Control Panel and select the Sounds And Audio Devices icon (in the Sounds, Speech, And Audio Devices category). Choose the Voice tab, locate the Voice Playback heading, and click the Advanced button.

From the Advanced Audio Properties dialog box, choose its Performance tab and move the Hardware Acceleration slider to the right. It doesn't matter how far to the right, as long as the Hardware Acceleration slider is set to something other than None. Click OK to close the dialog boxes.

Before continuing to the next phase of the solution, you must make sure Dpvsetup.exe isn't open and running on your PC. Press the CTRL-ALT-DELETE key combination to access the Task Manager and locate any references to Dpvsetup.exe or DirectPlay Voice. End all of them and close the Task Manager.

Now it's time to edit the Registry.

Open the Start menu, select Run, type regedit in the Open field, and click OK.

In the Registry Editor, locate and highlight HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\DIRECTPLAY\VOICE\AUDIOCONFIG.
    The AudioConfig key should include a pair of nested folders labeled with hexadecimal numbers. Open both of them to reveal several Registry values, including three labeled as FullDuplex, HalfDuplex, and MicDetected.

Right-click the FullDuplex value and select Modify from the pop-up menu.
    In the resulting Edit DWORD Value dialog box, type 3 in the Value Data field and click OK. Repeat the procedure for the HalfDuplex and MicDetected values, setting the Edit Value fields to 3 for HalfDuplex and 2 for MicDetected.

Close the Registry Editor and reboot the computer. WinMP and your sounds might work now. :D

~Marked For Life

10. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

i had the shut down issue before, and found that it was virus. the norton site may have more details on your shut down issue. or maybie even someone here.

good luck not being able to reboot is a pain when it comes to installing and uninstalling

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds