problems with WinXP update...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shadowchaser, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Shadowchaser

Shadowchaser A Really Great Guy

Went over to a client's house tonight to eradicate Blaster, Nachi and Welchia worms from his system. Did so using Symantek's utilities and was successful in this part of the endeavor. When I went to update his OS with the security updates I ran into the following problems:

1. Windows Update needs to update please click to do so (have clicked on this numerous times and it always returns to this screen)

So I downloaded the patch physically and tried to install it locally, ran into this problem.....

2. Could not verify integrity of file Update.inf file check to make sure cryptographic services is running.

Went into services.msc and checked the cryptographic service. It was set to automatic so I shut it off and then restarted it. Tried to update again and came up with the same error. I'm kind of lost at this moment. Anyone care to show me the obvious mistake I'm making?

His system specs are as follows:

vpr Matrix, Inc 4100
    2533 Mhz P 4
    8 k primary memory cache
    512 k secondary memory cache
    512 M RAM
    100 G HD (92 G free) Western Digital
    No network
    DSL connection
    ZoneAlarm up and running now
    Win XP Home edition SP1
    Norton Anti-virus

He also does not have the other security updates installed. He claims to have installed them but Belarc Advisor audits them and needing to be reinstalled. Any idea on how to do so? Especially with the problems I'm having with the Windows Update installer?

Thanks in advance..........

Wraith

2. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

You don't remove the Blaster worm, if Welchia is on the system... Just download the patch right now from microsoft.com directly or another site, and did you read the other thread on "cryptographic service" not working?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds