Probs with Internet Connection...what I've done so far...help pls

Discussion in 'Software' started by jacknscoob, Feb 12, 2012.

1. jacknscoob

jacknscoob Corporal

Hiya

I have downloaded SAS and Combo Fix now, phew :)

When I download something there appears no option to choose where it is saved. IS is OK, after it has downloaded to 'cut' n 'paste' the downloaded file to my desktop?

Once I have all my results I'll start a freshie on the Malware-Removal Forum:wave

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Sure, cut and paste the downloaded files to wherever the Read & Run/Windows version says they must be run from, not all are run from the Desktop.

3. kipfeet

kipfeet Corporal

Good show on SAS and ComboFix downloads. That helps.

One other suggestion, if you will: When we were trying to sort your initial problem I was encouraging you to run scans with SAS and AntiMalware, BUT once you've run the scans requested by the Read and Run Me and posted those to the Malware-Removal Forum then it's best not run any more scans unless directed to do so by the wizards in that forum.

In fact, unless absolutely necessary for some obscure reason don't run anything at all other than what the MR Forum wizards request. It's best to submit the logs that they request at each stage and then wait for further instructions. I see over there people complicating things by continuing to try fixing things themselves, but usually all that does is make moving targets for the wizards. You'll be in good hands, so don't make it more difficult than necessary. Hope this helps a bit :)

4. jacknscoob

jacknscoob Corporal

The above was not wasted on me. THANKYOU for the reminder :)

I have started a new thread in the Malware-Removal Forum :wave

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

One thing that might be a route to go down after the malware is to see if your actual internet connection itself is having issues, or a router issue. Just a thought to visit when the malware visit is done.

6. kipfeet

kipfeet Corporal

Me again.

I'm guessing that TimW may not have time to delve through this thread to try to get clues to your problems. I suggest you copy the first 4 points of your post #44 here to your next post there. And also explain that the first SAS log you ran was inadvertently lost, but that a lot of threats were found. If you can remember any details of that log, pass those on to him, such as whether they were memory threats, file threats, registry threats, etc.

Also, attach for his info the earliest scan you did of AMB (I think mbam-log-2012-02-22 (22-36-48 LOG FULL 22 Feb.txt is the one?). That shows that you had some malware originally. Might be useful to tell him that it was run after the initial SAS scan (if that's true).

Tell him that your first scans with SAS and AMB seemed to have gotten your internet back, but you think they didn't catch everything (as evidenced by the 4 items in your post #44 here) and that's why you were advised to seek help in Malware Removal.

More or less the above or something to those effects, in your own words. That might give him some clues about where to look for additional problems :)

7. jacknscoob

jacknscoob Corporal

Kipfeet

I did as you suggested below in your last post.

FYI re my iTunes problems. It was all running fine for about 3 days, then suddenly it stopped. Nothing much else had changed on my computer, so I was a bit miffed. However, the timing corresponds exactly to the time my internet 'shaped' ie slows because we have gone over our monthly internet GB limit. Also, this sits well with the fact that it suddenly started working and I couldnt tell why, anyhow just thought I'd let you know.:)

This problem-solving dilema reminds me of when I had an extremely long thread disecting problems with pixilation after burning DVDs from Utube. It turned out it was the DVD player, doh;)

Yes our internet allowance is 2GBs and lasts about 3 days til it is shaped :cryrolleyes:-o, we are tied in til July. Hopefully after thou we can increase it. :)

8. kipfeet

kipfeet Corporal

Hmmm...well, the internet-limit thing might explain some things, eh? ;)

Yeah, it did drag out some, but we both learned some things. And it was not all for naught because you did find some malware on your computer and you learned a few things about keeping the computer clean. Hopefully TimW won't find anything else and you can go on your merry way. TimW will point you to another MG resource when he thinks you're good to go. Read and act on that and you'll be more secure still.

And by all means, get that internet allowance increased: 2GB isn't much these days.

Thanks for letting us know, and good luck to you. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds