Processes/CPU Usage/Memory

Discussion in 'Software' started by triespice, Jul 6, 2010.

1. triespice

triespice Private E-2

I am looking on how to gain knowledge on which processes I can end (if any)

Before I actually started to write this thread, I opened up the Task Manager and was just watching the numbers move. In a short time, the CPU Usage bounces from 13% to 95% and the Physical memory as high as 68%
    Now, that I have the thread opened and I am looking at it, I have 75 processes, CPU Usage is between 5% and 20% and the physical memory is staying put at 49%. All of the numbers in the CPU column are 00, except for a handful that are constantly changing.
    I just don't know which processes to end, if any and was hoping to gain some knowledge by asking.
    Maybe what I have running is 'normal' but if it isn't I would like to know how to be able to pick and choose as to which ones can be ended
    I am running vista, on my Acer Aspire Laptop (5735-4401)
    Thank you very much for your time.
    TRIE

(I also have another thread in the Software forum I am seeking help with)

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

3. triespice

triespice Private E-2

I understand some of these are repeated, but this was everything in the start up programs tab.
    Thanks,
    T

Attached Files:

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Remove ALL but the WinPatrol and your AV program.

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Too many programs install themselves onto the Startup list. (as if your machine couldn't run without them being there). Big surprise. It will.

6. triespice

triespice Private E-2

here comes the newbie question....
    remove them from where?
    from the WinPatrol start up?

If thats where you mean...then I have another question. From time to time if I check my start up list, those are really the only two things that should be in there?

Will doing this automatically remove all of those other start up programs from the control panel portion of 'change start up programs'

Thanks,
    T

7. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

From WinPatrol will be fine. Doesn't remove the programs from the machine, just from starting at bootup.
    If you install another program or application, it may add itself, so good to check periodically.
    You might consider adding SpywareBlaster to your defenses and allow it onto the Startup, though.
    WinPatrol is how I have kept an eye on my machines for several years now.

8. triespice

triespice Private E-2

thank you for your help with this topic, i have done what you suggested.

T

9. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

How is your machine booting, compared to previously?

10. triespice

triespice Private E-2

The machine itself seems to be booting the same it was before....

Was cleaning out the start up programs supposed to help with the original question?
    I have rebooted several times thru the day, and just now I am watching the task manager and all of the numbers and %'s that were there before are still there now.
    If it is 'normal' to be running at the numbers and %'s I listed in my original post, then that is okay.
    But if it isn't what steps can I take to end or dump processes that I don't need running?
    Is this something only learned over time and knowing what each .exe file is for?
    Like I said earlier, I have 65 running right now, and have no idea what about 60 of them are....or if I need them.
    Thanks yet again,
    T

11. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I currently have 59 processes running and 60-65% CPU usage. But my machine is also folding for the MG team at this time. That accounts for 50-55% of my CPU usage.
    Without being online and with NOTHING running, usage should be down to 1-5% with 95% idle.
    What Operating System do you use? If Vista, do you have the Auto Defrag running in the background?

12. triespice

triespice Private E-2

wow....now I am getting a whole slew of "do i want to start this program upon startup" alerts
    it tells me to close down all the apps then click on the Active Tasks tab to see what is still listed...I did that, and well there are like 15 of them. How do I know which to "kill"
    Thanks,
    T

edit to answer you:
    Yes I run Vista and I am not aware that I have the Auto Defrag running, um that's something I would KNOW i had running isnt it?? LOL
    I have my task manager open now, and the only window I have open is this one, i have 65 processes, CPU (why doesn't it stay still if I am not doing anything) CPU is 5,11,15,5,8,4,10,6,21, well you get the idea, it doesn't stay in one place. lol (i assume it isn't supposed to) and my physical memory has gone down to a constant 42% which is 7% less then before I started

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  13. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Which ones are asking?

14. triespice

triespice Private E-2

it's the same one asking over and over again, but I think I "killed" it because it isn't asking, but is back in the start up tab again

TITLE
    ISTray

COMMAND
    pctsTray.exe

COMPANY
    PC Tools

TYPE (there are two)
    HKLM_RUN
    x64_ RUN

(yeah everything i have is doubled, and I am not knowledgeable to know why, i always think I have the same things doubled because i have program files AND program files (x86) I don't know how both folders got created, i KNOW they weren't there when I first got the computer, but that's another story I suspect

15. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Is that the PC Tools firewall?
    If so, leave it alone.

16. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

After a Google search, seems to be PC Tools Spyware Doctor.
    That program I don't use. I am a firm believer in SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes.
    Suggest you install those and delete the SpywareDoctor.

17. triespice

triespice Private E-2

Thank you so much once again. I have uninstalled and installed what you suggested.
    I appreciate your time.
    T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds