Processor Speed after rebuilt

Discussion in 'Software' started by Snooky, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Snooky

Snooky Private E-2

Hi.....Not new to computers, but not exactly "literate" either....lol...Can someone explain this to me?......I think someone pulled my leg....Ok....I purchased a used Gateway P3 800.....the tech put in my hard drive from my old Gateway 350....so C is primary drive and D is everything from my old computer...
    Problem..............when I go to Computer- Properties....its reads I only have 448 MHZ..Pent111........When I asked the tech? How come? you sold me a 800MHz, he said the rest of "it" went to the IP.......Win..XP.......I dont know if I'm making any of this clear.......Just want to understand what I purchased....THanks for any enlightenment you can give me....Snook:)

2. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Would suggest you download either CPUZ available here at Major Geeks http://www.majorgeeks.com/download425.html or Everest herehttp://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181 both will tell you what you have for a CPU. The story the "Tech" is telling is kinda "fishy" to me Hope that helps

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I agree w/ BCGray... sounds like the 'tech' is up to something. Definitely try the CPUZ to get a solid reading on the speed. Also, check the PC's BIOS to see what speed it reports and if any multipliers are set wrong. Older PC's sometimes don't have multipliers in the BIOS. They'll have a block of jumpers on the motherboard that have to be set up just right to get the CPU speed correct. If all else fails, power down the PC, unplug the power cord and pop the case open and take a gander at the CPU itself and see what it says. If the CPU is under a heat sink/fan, be careful removing it. If the CPU is a large black thing that sticks out vertically (perpendicular) from the main board, chances are it isn't a PIII, and definitely not 800mhz. If you're not comfortable opening the case, etc., run it back to the 'tech' and ask him to open the PC and show you the CPU. The speed is ALWAYS printed on CPU's.
    Let us know what happens!

hopperdave2000 :)

4. BCGray

BCGray Guest

5. Snooky

Snooky Private E-2

First thank each of you for replying...It was as I/we suspected....I purchased a 450MHz, not an 800. Guess its not three years old either, huh? 450 were out when I bought my 350 in '98........So now I dont know what to do, you see the tech that built it married into my family and I also thought of us as friends....God, I hate to start wars....lol......Once again, my thanks Snook

6. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Hey just be honest with him, otherwise you have the rest of your life to hate him for something that he was never given the chance to correct, and he will be aware of it.

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

Have you checked the actual cpu instead? I had an old Slot 2 cpu (p3 1ghz), that when I first put it in, it read 500 Mhz. Some tweaking in the bios, and got it up to 1ghz.

Both the bios and the windows related programs won't read what the actual cpu really is.

8. Snooky

Snooky Private E-2

Well...by checking the BIOS, I'm assuming you mean to boot up- presss tab key---and read the information that comes up?.....I did that ...and it read a P3 450......then I went to Gateway where there is an utility that reads your system configuration...it reported 450...(as did the CPUZ )..So finally, I decided to go inside the tower and read the actual CPU...
    On the back of the computer where the serial number is, build date, etc.....Gateway P3 450mhz...was there....someone had "tried" to backen though the "450"..........hum...........and then I tried to unscrew the cover to the tower...the screws....none of them would budge, "as if" they'd been glued in place....(screws in middle grey area around fan, unscrewed easily...not that they mattered)......I've been inside towers before and I've never had trouble getting in.......Well, all who replyed, I thank you all.....Happy Holidays......Snook

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds