Processors slowing down while gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RailgunSpoon, Aug 18, 2014.

1. RailgunSpoon

RailgunSpoon Private E-2

So I got this computer about 3 years ago, and I haven't really been noticing this until recently so I'm not entirely sure if it's been occurring the whole time. I'm pretty sure it has and I just didn't develop an eye for it until recently.

So while I'm gaming, and ONLY while I'm gaming (Full screen or windowed mode) all of my processors slow down to about half speed.
    I have an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz
    Usually the multiplier is 200.86 x 14 = ~2800 MHz
    While gaming, I can watch as every few minutes on CoreTemp as the multiplier changes to 200.86 x 7.5 = ~1500 MHz
    These drops last usually between 20 - 80 seconds and occur about once every 3 minutes.
    Games that I should be getting 70-80 FPS on, I'm now getting 15-25 during these drops.

I've tried everything. Changing power settings to High Performance, got a new power supply (750W, which is plenty for what I have), Unplugged one of my monitors (I have two), Monitored CPU temperatures (Never got above 40*C), I EVEN WENT INTO BIOS and turned off Cool n' Quiet and set my multiplier manually to x14. Nothing had made a bit of difference.

I just now updated my BIOS from version 0702 to 1001 to see if that was the issue, and it didn't change anything.

Please help, this is really frustrating.

Specs:
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 2.8GHz processor
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 GPU
    750W 'Hive' Power supply
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 (BIOS version 1001) Motherboard
    16GB RAM

2. RailgunSpoon

RailgunSpoon Private E-2

Side note: I did a clean install of Windows 7 about a week and a half ago and it didn't change anything.

3. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

your manual is at
    http://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/M4N68T-MV2/Manual/264297
    if you don't have a paper copy.
    Try full overclock BIOS settings but at stock speed as per
    http://forums.overclockersclub.com/?showtopic=188295
    Those will not be your settings, but will tell you what to change.
    Note that there a lot of components on the board that may be failing after 3 years, be sure the motherboard is clean and has good air flow. The CPU is not the only component on the motherboard that can overheat. The Phenom II 6 cores on that motherboard is a strain as the motherboard does not have VRM and MOSFET cooling to speak of (the voltage regulation is not made for high loads).
    If you don't want to further mess with the BIOS post again what you have tried.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds