proftp login error number 530

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mada_Milty, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Hello All,

I have a edgy eft machine that is running proftpd successfully. Attached, please find my configuration file for this server.

My problem is that most of the users I've created cannot log in. Most return error number 530. (The one exception is the user created while installing the OS)

Research is telling me that this is typically a permissions problem, but I've went as far as chmod'ing the users' home directory to 777, and that has no effect.

Can anyone point me to anywhere else I should be looking?

TIA,

Milty

Attached Files:

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Heh.... thanks for that, I'll have a look-see, FOR SURE.

An update, though - things really are pointing to a file permission error. I've since tried SSHing into the box as one of the problem users, and kept getting access is denied error messages.

But, if everyone has full permissions to the users home directory, I don't know where else the user would need permissions. ARGH.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Okay, I seem to have found a resolution to my problem.

Seems the box doesn't like to authenticate users setup with a password via the 'useradd' command.

Using:

Code:
    sudo passwd [I]problemuser[/I]
    Has allowed all my users to log in no problem! Whoop!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds