Program for OverClocking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shotgun_Shortz, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Shotgun_Shortz

Shotgun_Shortz Corporal

I need a program to OverClock my AMD Athlon XP processor, the BIOS doesnt have an option to :rolleyes: . I know the risks and everything but I can't find a program to do it.

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

I used to use CPUFSB with good results but there are others out there. I think Clockgen is another or sumthin like that. We may be able to help look. What model is your computer/what motherboard do you have?

3. Shotgun_Shortz

Shotgun_Shortz Corporal

Um, I bought a custom made one awhile ago. I dont know the motherboard type. I tried using Clockgenm it didnt work. It just reset right when I changed it.

4. candive

candive Corporal

Try running Belarc Advisor, found on this site.
    Chris.

5. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

6. candive

candive Corporal

I tried to edit my statement after I realized my lack of a proper explanation reguarding Belarc.
    It thought the edit had worked, apparently not.
    I am new to this particular board.
    I will be more careful in the future.
    tunered, Thank-You for catching and correcting my error.
    Chris.

7. Shotgun_Shortz

Shotgun_Shortz Corporal

I have the box somewhere around here for the motherboard I will see if I can find it. I remember EliteGroup I believe something like that.

8. Tubnotub1

Tubnotub1 Private First Class

If its an nvidia chipset you can try a program such as ntune. That is usually a decent way to overclock your rig. Also, the reason clockgen is not working is because your bios does not have any overclocking options, clockgen uses the bios in order to overclock. That being said, there is no guarantee the ntune will work for you also, though it is worth a try.

9. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

No problem Chris, we all get better with time. ed

10. Shotgun_Shortz

Shotgun_Shortz Corporal

ECS EliteGroup K7S5A

11. IH8GWB

IH8GWB Private E-2

CPU-Z download it

it will tell you your CPU type & motherboard type as well

12. mgpower0

mgpower0 Corporal

Cpucool will work and has the ECS K7S5A listed as being supported. It is a shareware program, but u can download and use it it just won't save you clock settings if you don't register. Just means you will have to run the program and set fsb each time you reboot Even have a link at MG's for it
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=214

13. Shotgun_Shortz

Shotgun_Shortz Corporal

I am at school now but I will try it when I get home and get back to you.

14. Shotgun_Shortz

Shotgun_Shortz Corporal

I tried it and when I went to 'Start game mode' my PC just freezes.

15. mgpower0

mgpower0 Corporal

just try oc ing first so run program, when the table comes up with all the temps frequency etc go to the functions tab in the top menus and select (change front side bus/change cpu speed) selection. A mainboard and mainboard type menu will open. Select ECS/elitegroup as the mainboard & K7S5A as mainboard type. It then should take you to the adjustment table. Some mainboards have a fine tuning setting if it gives you this option use it. Hope this works I have a Gigabyte mainboard so this is about as far as I can take you. Don't try and O.C to high to start off as this will cause system to freeze, try a bit at a time until you reach your max. Just a bit more info. It seems your board doesn't have fine tuning so on the fsb window first select(get PLL output) then select(Get Frequency) The Frequency to set area should then come up with current FSB freq PCI freq & RAM freq, use the up arrow to increase the FSB freq in steps. You will note the other two PCI & RAM will also go up. This is normal when you up the FSB cause you are in effect OCing these as well so DON'T GO TOO FAR. A bit at a time until system becomes unstable then back it off a step or two

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  16. Shotgun_Shortz

Shotgun_Shortz Corporal

It froze the first time that I moved it up one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds