Program icons different sizes on Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jesse Newell, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I have the icons on my desktop set to medium size and they're all the same size, but I have some icons in a folder, set to large size, and instead of them being all the same size, some are large and some are medium. Anyone know a possible reason for this?

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

It will help if you could take a screenshot and post it.

3. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

[​IMG]

See how the icons for Irfanview, Miro, and Mp3jam are smaller than all the others? The icon for Notepad++ varies in size sometimes. I've seen it in both large and medium even though I always have folder icons set to large size.

4. Eldon

The reason for this is because of the actual size of the icon inside the program's executable. In the good old days of Windows XP icons were never bigger than 48 X 48. Now they are up to 256 X 256 in size and some authors have not change the icons - even though it can be done with a free program like Greenfish Icon Editor Pro.

5. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Great, thanks. Can you link me to where I can get the latest version of that? I Googled it, but some of the hits were outdated and some were untrustworthy.

6. Eldon

7. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds