Program icons don't show

Discussion in 'Software' started by robertbeddow, Aug 15, 2010.

1. robertbeddow

robertbeddow Private E-2

Hi,

I have 2 similar problems on seperate computers.

One computer has windows 7 and the icons for Internet Explorer and Photoshop Elements are represented by the microsoft default icons, not the icons relevant to the programs. I haven't got a clue why. all other programs seem to have their icons just fine.

The other computer has windows vista, and when I add Skype to quick launch the icon gets replaced by the default windows icon, even though the Skype icon is used anywhere else.

I've tried to search for help, but unfortunately the key words are used in about 10 million pages about something completely different, so no luck there...

Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. robertbeddow

robertbeddow Private E-2

Really? I only bought the windows 7 pc a week ago, and it's been like that from about day 1. And the vista one - I only re-installed windows from scratch yesterday and I'm still loading all the windows updates. The malware got in that quickly?

3. robertbeddow

robertbeddow Private E-2

Update - I finished installing all the updates, etc. on the Vista computer and now the Skype icon appears correctly, so that problem is solved.

However, the windows 7 computer still lacks correct images for PSE and IE. I'm kind of posting in the hope that someone thinks it may not be malware and there's another possibility. Basically I've only had this computer a week or so, haven't knowingly downloaded anything dodgy and am not seeing any other problems at all, so I am not keen on spending an afternoon going through the malware process when I'm not convinced that it has a problem!

But, if I hear nothing else I may have to... oh what joy.

4. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

With your Win7 reboot pressing F8 " Advanced user Mode " then scroll down to " Last Known Good Configuration " see if that helps, it takes your PC back to the last time it was working properly !

Other alternative just do a system restore !

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  5. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

While malware could be the issue, doubt it with just two icons only with wrong graphic and all others ok.

What you could try is to rebuild the iconcache file on Windows 7, to do this the easy option is to unhide all hidden files, click in any folder Organize > Folder and Search Options > View tab and choose "Show Hidden Files Folders and Drives" > Apply

Then navigate to this folder where OWNER is your user/account name C:\Users\OWNER\AppData\Local and delete the IconCache file, then reboot.

The longer and more accurate way is to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager, and then look in the Process tab and highlight Explorer.exe and End task (dont be alarmed if the desktop and Task Bar go missing its normal as we have just ended one of the main apps in Windows)

With Task Manager still Open click File > New Task (Run) and type cmd.exe and this will bring up a command prompt Window, type the followin in this order, type the bold lines and hit enter after each one.

cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
    attrib –h IconCache.db
    del IconCache.db
    start explorer

and I would reboot and see if the icons rebuild themselves.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds