program to format SSD drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stephen_c16, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

Given the effort made to return my desktop to working order came to nothing - Still trying to use XPsp3. I remembered the fully ready but unconnected sata drive still sitting in the machine. I hooked it up and I am now back in the game.

I now want to reformat the SSD drive so that I plan to use acronis to copy the disk contents back to a clean ssd drive.

I would like to format the ssd disk in situ rather than using a usb caddy for speed reasons.
    My question is what freeware program would you suggest?
    Many thanks,
    s.

2. Stephen_c16

3. Stephen_c16

I do realise that the best thing would be to set up the drive I wish to format as a secondary drive but I created it through Acronis true image and there are some very strong reminders that the two drives should not be connected at the same time.
    I would like to sort it all out tomorrow.
    I think I'm being a little optimistic.
    s.

4. Stephen_c16

I found what I was looking for...

Thanks for being there.
    s.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  5. Stephen_c16

Given that my last reply was edited without my knowledge I thought I would mention some things that I have learnt from this experience.
    For a Hard drive to be cleaned fully the boot sector needs to be deleted. The disk is unreadable and needs to be formatted.
    (I found hiren's startup disk which was removed_)
    Ranish Partition Manager will do this and can be found on Ultimate Boot CD
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ultimate_boot_cd_(ubcd).html

I ended up making a startup disk. I made a usb start up card but the PC couldn't read it on booting up.

All's well. My computer XP sp3 is running nice and fast again.
    Best wishes,
    s.

Please feel free to edit this if you need to. It would be good to be notified.

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

You reply was edited because you had already posted the link you posted to that blog in a previous reply. We are limited on links to other places that we allow. Its just a general policy we have to avoid spamming.

We also don't notify people in regards to edits...especially minor ones.

I know it's frustrating when people don't answer your questions, but since everyone here is a volunteer, unfortunately they do not always know the answers to all the questions people ask...which was most likely the case with your specific post.

Glad you were able to get it sorted out. :)

7. Stephen_c16

Thank you LauraR for the time it must take to administer such a vital site.

Over the years I have been linked to many PCHELP forums (fori?)

I have found extraordinary help and guidance.
    Recognising the spirit of learning and help to achieve an end.

I find Majorgeeks to be a very special place.

Microsoft's unleashing Windows 10 has made the forum go mad with pertinent questions and I didn't even get my title correct.
    It should have been titled
    Program to reformat SSD drive?

Best Wishes and thanks,
    s,

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds