Program to locate files associated with another program?

Discussion in 'Software' started by WolfeMacleod, Nov 2, 2003.

1. WolfeMacleod

WolfeMacleod Private E-2

Ok, a little background here. I'm a guitar player who uses a program called Guitar Port by Line6. GuitarPort consists of the program and a USB breakout box to plug a guitar into, and the program simulates different amp models on the PC. Works great.

The problem is that I have to keep switching from the new version (2.0) to an older version (1.14) because the sounds they offer are different. You can't have two different (working) versions installed at the same time. It requires me to keep installing the program each time I want to switch...which is often. Other users have this problem too.

I thought that if I could locate all the proper driver files and DLL files, rename one versions files to **.BAK, I could use the other version...then, when I wanted to use a different version, just swap the BAK'ed files to be the filename that said version needs.

So, I'm looking for a program which will locate every driver, DLL, or whatever files are needed to run a given progam.

Is there such a thing that will do this?

I've located and changed some of the files, but it's not working like I think it should, so I think I'm missing a few needed files.

If swapping the driver/DLL files works, it shouldn't bee too hard to have a program made which would let you select the version to run, and then automatically select / change the needed driver files...right?

Any thoughts on this?

If anyone's interested in checking it out, different versions can be downloaded here http://software.line6.net/
    Although it needs the breakout box to fully run, the programs will load without it.
    Website isn't working for me currently, so I don't have the exact links.

Wolfe

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds