Program with no name not responding, etc.

Discussion in 'Software' started by MickieW, Mar 16, 2004.

1. MickieW

MickieW Private E-2

I am trying to fix my dad's computer that is running windows 98. I keep getting a program not responding window that has no program name in it. Then internet explorer stops responding, the desktop crashes, I have to restore the active desktop, the taskbar greys out, and my all time favorite, it won't let me shut down windows because it says I don't have the authority!! (of all the nerve!) I also have seen a window icon with no name next to it in the window where you choose which kind of program to open a file. Internet explorer also keeps giving me "page cannot be displayed dns error" messages even after I have connected to the dial-up ISP. I have run spybot and adware. Spybot first, reboot, then adware. After the reboot from spybot, adware found another 162 items. SearchXL, virtual bouncer, Xupiter, gator...just to name a few. I cannot update Norton Antivirus because it will not connect to the internet either. I updated Norton a couple of days ago, and it said I was fully updated, but the Norton Antivirus window says the definitions have not been updated since 2002!! Help!!!!!!!! Thanks in advance. I have run hijackthis, but the file is on a disk at my dad's house. (of course :))

2. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

Sounds like a virus has disabled norton... get a 3rd party scanner and scan with that. You can download many differnet 3rd party scanners from majorgeeks.com.

3. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

i recommend Panda Active Scan (just google the name)... it helped remove a virus from my roommates computer that many other Anti-Virus programs couldn't detect...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds