programs/files with $ code in them?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mag00, Feb 25, 2004.

1. mag00

mag00 Sergeant

Fairly new to windows machines, been a mac guy for years. I have a new GQ 800mhz with win 98 se installed. My companies is running xp pro. I did a search for $ on the c: drive (xp machine) and alot of entries apeared, some in blue. Is there fairly broad based simple explaination for these programs?

The xp machine is running Panda antivirus, but when I ran cwshredder I found 4 bugs.

My Buddy has had windows machines for years and is totally computer illiterate, so I've monkey'd around with windows on and off but never really learned dos etc. He recently and currently is having a fit with the trojan hijacks. When I tried to view the dos directories I found some programs with $$%$ type in the directories, and was suspect to some embedded software. I just don't know what is good and what should go!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2004
  2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

$ files can be several things.
    One thing is part of the filesystem (ntfs).
    Can you give us some specific names and where they are located?

Text in blue is generally ntfs compressed.

3. mag00

mag00 Sergeant

OK I'll start on the windows xp pro machine. Seems all the boogers are cleaned up since the shredder was run.

I went to the search feature and typed "$" and did the search on c drive. Most of the files that had that are gone away, but a few linger. They are blue, and the only ones blue the only ones showing $ in the line.

shmedia.dll C:\windows\$NtUninstallQ329390$.
    shmedia.dll C:\windows\$NtUninstallQ329390_RIM$
    shmedia.dll C:\windows\$xpsp1hfm$\Q329390
    shmedia.pdb C:\windows\$xpsp1hfm$\Q329390\symbols\dll
    shmedia.dll C:\windows\system32\dllcache

What is ntfs?

I'm thinking to delete them but know not what the function would be.

Any Ideas? Suggestions?

I also would like to edit the title of the post to not be misleading as to wanting money ;) How do I edit the title?

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

NTFS=New Technology FileSystem

its not new, just a name.

Those $ folders are hotfix uninstall information.

dllcache is where all the protected system files are backed up.

If one gets replaced or corrupted, Windows File protection moves over a new copy from this folder.

5. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

I think you can edit your 1st post in the thread and change the title there.

6. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

MAgg00
    Just in case you are wondering what a hotfix file is,
    those are the windows updates files :) You download from the microsoft site

7. mag00

mag00 Sergeant

So then would the shmedia stuf be probematic or original win 98 entries?

OH and btw, thanks to all! I may just retire my mac
    :p as there just doesn't seem to be enough good support for em.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds