Programs minimizing to desktop and other wierd things happening

Discussion in 'Software' started by Arcaian, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Arcaian

Arcaian Private E-2

Hey, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. I'll just tell you my computer specs first:
    I have an AMD Phenom II X4 955 proccessor (3.0GHz, Quad-core)
    I have 4gb of RAM
    I have a Nvidia GTS-250 graphics card
    I have a 1TB hard drive, but not sure what brand :/

I don't really know what else to put there. Anyway, Windows was having this annoying problem where whenever I tried to connect to my home network it popped up with "please enter your username and password", even though you didn't need a username for my network. I found that a program called RAlink wireless utility had helped some people, and I already had drivers from ralink, so I got the utility, and I could connect to the internet again.

Then something randomally started stealing focus from any windowed program, and you would have to re-select the program, which was really annoying when you were typing you had to always re-select it, and it happened every 2-3 seconds for about 10 mins, then went away for about an hour, then it would come back. Restarting the computer fixed it. During those 10 minutes, sometimes when you pressed a button as it stole focus, it would pop up with RAlink Wireless Config Utilities - no selected item. It was really annoying, but if you could still play a fullscreen program. Now, it's started minimizing to the desktop during a fullscreen program, and it is REALLY annoying, because I can hardly do anything any more :/. It still does this after I end the RAlink process.

It sounds a LOT like a virus or some other malware, so I logically scanned for that. I used Avast! antivirus to scan (it's my realtime shield), and it didn't find anything. I then used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to scan for it, and it also found nothing (except apparently 3 ad-ware programs, but I deleted them). I also used The Cleaner 2012 edition to scan, because I heard it was good from a friend, and it found some more adware (5 more things) but nothing that is designed to infect the computer.

I thought it could just be the computer playing up, so I used Defraggler to defrag my computer, the CCleaner to do a cleanup, then disk checked my computer, then turned if off and left it for about 12 hours while I slept. I booted it up today, and the same thing happend.

I don't know why it's doing this, but I couldn't think of anything else to do, so I'm posting here to see what you guys would recommend.

Thanks for the help !
    Arcaian

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try creating a new User profile, log into it and see if the problem still exists.

3. Arcaian

Arcaian Private E-2

OK, thanks that works. I wasn't connected to the internet if that changes anything. What would you do now ?
    Sorry it took so long, I had to wait the hour that it normally doesn't have a problem with before I knew it was fixed.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  4. satrow

Well, it could be Internet related, like something trying to pop-up and ask permission but is being blocked by the UAC or because it isn't running as Admin ... difficult to tell yet. Try it on the 'net for an hour or so as the new User and then report back, we can then discuss whether to transfer your data over to the new User or whether we try to troubleshoot the original user profile.

5. Arcaian

Arcaian Private E-2

No problems on the new user, I used facebook and tribal wars for about half an hour, then did mw2 with my bro for another hour. So it's all good there :D

6. satrow

That reads like it's narrowed down to just that one User profile :)

If you're happy with that, you can soon copy the 'old' user files to the new user profile - but you need to be in a different profile from both of them to allow you to do this = make another new profile and log into it then all files are free to be moved.

Read the above instructions carefully and take your time, it should be straightforward.

7. Arcaian

Arcaian Private E-2

Cool, thanks heaps for all this ! You've been a major help.

8. satrow

My pleasure, have fun now :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds