Programs trying to open IE instead of my default browser

Discussion in 'Software' started by beckylousiana, Feb 4, 2012.

1. beckylousiana

beckylousiana Private E-2

I have various programs trying to open IE for updates & help online, but I have uninstalled IE because basically it sucks. I have installed Google Chrome, designated it as my default browser. I need for my programs such as CCleaner, Malwarebytes, Microsoft Office 2003 (that started with the annoying messages that my product may not be valid, see below) and some other programs that continue to try and use IE for updates/help. It brings up an IE browser window and just keeps spinning, and freezes up.

Dell Deminsion 8400, Running Windows XP Professional Version 2002, SP3.

Microsoft Office 2003 - error message, Microsoft Genuine Advantage, This copy of Microsoft is not genuine----- remind me later or Learn more but when I click Learn more it tries to connect via IE and I can't get any information)

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You can't uninstall IE. To keep Windows XP patched, windows update needs to be accessed through Internet Explorer.

I suggest you use a restore point to return to a point in time before you tried to remove IE.

3. beckylousiana

Gosh, I can't remember when, it has been a while. Can I not just re-install? Will that fix the problem, or just add to it? Thanx!

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

How did you "uninstall IE"?

5. beckylousiana

I really can't remember - I believe that I went to Add/Remove Programs/Add Remove Windows components. Maybe I have just disabled it?? Shall I enable it the same way? I am at the computer now, it is my office desktop..
    Thanx!

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Yes, you should be able to enable it the same way. Let me know. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds