programs won't delete from control panel

Discussion in 'Software' started by scottiedon't, Sep 26, 2006.

1. scottiedon't

scottiedon't Private E-2

using an emachine running windows xp. programs loaded themselves onto desktop, now i can't delete them from "add/remove programs". says to reboot computer first before deleting programs. thought that was weird so i didn't.

2. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Where do you have your progs installed? What directory?

3. scottiedon't

scottiedon't Private E-2

i'm not sure i understand you. there is a prog on my desktop that i did not install on my own called "x password generator" when i go to add/remove progs in control panel it says i have to reboot before deleting. i'm not sure what you meant by what directory. i just know the "all programs menu" on start button bottom left.

4. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

5. scottiedon't

scottiedon't Private E-2

it had never asked me for a licence agreement, nor do i have a ton of pop ups on my screen. i did find the prog in the c drive though. anything?

6. mgpower0

mgpower0 Corporal

you could try booting into safe mode then try and delete it through add/remove progs

7. scottiedon't

scottiedon't Private E-2

do you think this will screw up my computer if i shut it down? meaning do you think i'll be able to turn it back on once it's off?

8. shana5522

shana5522 Private E-2

So, I am probably going to go over to ScottieDont's house and help him fix this- not that I really know what I am doing either. I'm not familiar with this x-password generator thing. I don't really know what it does or where it is (in the registry? in a checkpoint? on C:?). I read the link to the other forum that was provided above by BladesofHalo, but I'm still not entirely sure of the best course of action. That forum says to run Smit Fix and Ewido. ScottieDon't has AVG.

So, my question is: should I (a.)run Smit Fix and skip Ewido, (b.)try to remove it in safe mode, (c.)go through the MajorGeeks malware steps and run a hijack log, or (d.)do something else that I'm not thinking of?

One of my major concerns is that turning the computer off without fixing it will somehow make it worse when we reboot, because that has happened to me in the past.

9. mgpower0

mgpower0 Corporal

yeah not sure. best to wait for someone that can answer that to respond.

10. shana5522

shana5522 Private E-2

Should we be posting in a different forum?

11. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

@ Shana5522 Just to be sure....I would go with your option C.
    Please follow the 'Read and Run Me First' sticky guidelines before posting your log's, paying particular attention to the Order of steps required!

Good Luck.....

12. mgpower0

mgpower0 Corporal

Could try in the malware forum as it does sound like a malware problem, only thing is there is a limited number of people(experts) with permission to reply to malware threads so you may have to wait a while for a reply but they will be able to fix the problem. You will probably be instructed to do the steps in the read and run first thread http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407
    so do what you can on that list without having to reboot

13. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Download this to your desk top. http://www.majorgeeks.com/Pocket_KillBox_d4709.html

After it's installed you will see a large red X on your desk top, click on it to run the app.

When it starts another window will open, drag the password generator icon into the command line window. When you see the password gen. name in the line press the small red X at the right of the line and delete the icon.

You say you found the install folder for the new icon on your C drive? You will have to delete this folder also.

You should run the steps that mgpower mentioned right away. Is chaslang still here?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  14. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

15. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Thanks Toni,

I think I panicked there for a second. I could feel the nasties spreading all the way from here.:)

16. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

Me too! :eek:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds