[Project Log] The B.F.L.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gimpster123, Jul 19, 2008.

1. gimpster123

gimpster123 Bring out the Gimp.

So this idea came to me early this spring. Originally I wanted what was more or less a complete gaming desktop that was truly portable (battery power.) After learning that no affordable battery(ies) on the market could power a 8800 and a Q6600, I revised the idea to be AC powered, yet still very portable.

Current Status: Awaiting input.

I can't go any further without one of these:
    [​IMG]

I also need advice on cooling/ventilation (post 2, last pic)
    I can't finish the design and start building without you're input!!

I'm not sure If i want a fold out-front mounted keyboard (like the traportazoid design) or a top mounted keyboard (like ben heck's 360 laptop) Might be tough to type with my arms 4 in above the desk.

Parts list:
    Motherboard: Intel BOXDG31PR LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    CPU: Q6600
    CPU Cooler: EVERCOOL EC-PT12-9525EA 95mm Ever Lubricate CPU Cooler
    Ram: 1 gb DDR2 800 for now, will upgrade to 2 x 2gb
    Hdd: 320 Gb Western Digital I had originally planned on a 500 Gb storage disk, and a Raptor for boot/ programs, but decided this was over kill, I had this 320 gb laying around anyways.
    Powersupply: 500 watt 1U server psu
    Optical: standard DVD burner, I'm debating weather or not to buy a slim laptop drive, I'll decide once the power supply comes so I can do a final mock up.
    Monitor: generic Viewsonic vg 150 15 in monitor, hacked to bits- the poor thing
    Other: Xbox 360 controller reciever for windows, wireless mouse, usb wifi (thumbdrive style) all placed internally. Generic Keyboard- built into top like a laptop.
    Video Card: Leadtek 512 mb 8600 GT I had one of these laying around collecting dust. Note: the Video card will be installed horizontally to the motherboard, using This Adapter.

[​IMG]

This shows the basic layout, note the psu fits into the gap between the monitors psu and the disk drive.

[​IMG]

A rear view.

[​IMG]
    Note that the upside down board on top is the monitors chip.

Now we shall disassemble the monitor to see what we're working with. (okay so i actually did it before I took the previous mockup pics. Get over it.)

[​IMG]

Poor thing. Does it know the fate that awaits it?

[​IMG]

Getting started.

[​IMG]
    Who needs all those extra pieces anyways?

[​IMG]
    I finally found what I was looking for.

[​IMG]
    So I got a little carried away taking things apart. I decided to rip apart my old portable dvd player to use the screen as a panel mod on my main rig.

More pics to follow when I start doing mockups with the actual components.

2. gimpster123

gimpster123 Bring out the Gimp.

Damn 10 pic limit- good thing I reserved some room :). So I mocked up my PSU out of paper and finalized the layout. I'll post some pics- I need some recomendations on airflow.

Note: there will be a half in gap between the motherboard and lower components for ventilation and wiring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The power supply doesn't stick out that far- its about as long as the mobo.

[​IMG]

3. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

Cooling something this tiny will be tough since there isn't very much room inside. At first I was thinking of putting an intake fan in front and exhaust in back like the norm, but then I realized how small it was going to be! I'm sure you could find some low profile fans, most likely mounted to the case blowing air onto your mobo, since with all that small room the cool air will just keep blowing in, in theory eliminating the heat (due to the small space). Not sure though.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds