Projectors worth buying?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Coco, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

I'm just wondering if anyone here can recommend some projectors that are actually worth buying. I'd setup some BenQ PB6200 projectors in an office about a year ago, and they work just fine. The problem is you have a better chance of winning the lottery then you do of finding replacment bulbs for the suckers.

So I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend some projectors which can actually be used for more then a year or two before I'd have to buy new ones because the companies stop making replacement bulbs.

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> I'm just wondering if anyone here can recommend some projectors that are actually worth buying. I'd setup some BenQ PB6200 projectors in an office about a year ago, and they work just fine. The problem is you have a better chance of winning the lottery then you do of finding replacement bulbs for the suckers. << Coco

If by 'bulbs' you mean replacement of 'projector lamp' module, this is generally one of the few user replaceable projector parts and usually cost somewhere around 350-450 dollars for the BenQ PB6200.

Actually, if you really like the projector, there's no need to replace it; if you're just looking to stock up on projector lamp modules. Even though the BenQ company might not currently offer a replacement bulb or 'claim' they no longer manufacture it - there are still many places you can buy the BenQ PB6200 projector lamp modules.

Here are a few places that currently stock and sell BenQ lamp modules the PB6100/6200 Projector:

$355.29 – TheNerds.net
    $358.99 – OnSale.com
    $397.22 – CostCentral.com
    $399.00 – ProjectorCenter.com
    $400.00 – TheProjectorPros.com

I also use a BenQ projector [the PB2250]. You're right, they're great projectors! According to the BENQ website; the lamp life for the one that you have, the BenQ PB6200 is about 2000 hours in Standard Mode and 3000 hours in Eco-Mode Life. There are projectors out there that you can buy which may "claim" to have a 4000+ hour life but they will usually cost you an arm and a leg – lol.

Incidenally, the 'part number' is: BenQ 60.J8618.CG1. This site ProjectorCentral.com lists a TON of information about BenQ PB6200 Projector Specifications and even provides a link to a .pdf file that contains the users' manual [if you don't already have one].

Good Luck!

3. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Yeah by bulbs I meant lamps. Certain sites list them diffrent ways. Thanks for those links I'll give them a shot. I'm actually in Canada, so hopefully shipping won't be too bad. I've already tried every major retailer in Canada and failed to get a replacement bulb after about 3 months of waiting, so I'm up for just about anything.

Just so you know, I'm currently running one of the PB6200 with a bulb that has 3264 hours on it and it's working pretty good, but if it blows during a work presentation and I can't fix it I'm in trouble. :)

4. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Sorry to double post, but it won't let me edit. :(

I checked www.projectorcentral.com and it just says it needs a 200 NSH lamp, thenerds.net just says the lamp they are selling is a 210 NSH, so are you just trying to match that fairly closely and then assume they work together or is there somewheres which indicates that lamp goes with the PB6xxx sieres?

5. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Certain sites list them different ways. Thanks for those links I'll give them a shot. Just so you know, I'm currently running one of the PB6200 with a bulb that has 3264 hours on it and it's working pretty good, but if it blows during a work presentation and I can't fix it I'm in trouble. <<Coco

Anytime, my pleasure. Wow - 3264 hours! That's great! : )

Some lamps will make it way beyond their estimated life spans. However, projectors are not like televisions that can run maintenance-free for many years with no trouble. They need to have their lamps changed on occasion, and most have air filters that need to be cleaned periodically.

The most important factor regarding lamp life is heat. Regardless of how fancy or expensive projectors are; if you operate any projector in a warm environment that is not adequately ventilated, or at higher elevations, this can reduce lamp life. Also, if the environment is dusty; failing to keep the air filter clean will definitely reduce lamp life as well. And some projector lamps made with crappy or cheaper components likely fail sooner than others.

A lot of folks get understandably befuddled and irritated at the cost of replacement lamp. Nobody likes a surprise bill for $350-400 dollars that they didn't expect. But it is a lot easier to deal with when you anticipate it, budget for it, and have a few spares lying around.

>> I checked www.projectorcentral.com and it just says it needs a 200 NSH lamp, thenerds.net just says the lamp they are selling is a 210 NSH, so are you just trying to match that fairly closely and then assume they work together or is there somewheres which indicates that lamp goes with the PB6xxx sieres. <<Coco

When shopping for compatible replacement lamps the 'part number' is generally the most important thing. Additionally, sometimes "reseller" types of websites that sell projector lamp components list the NSH number incorrectly, so if you ever have any questions about this or any other specs that they list you should call the seller directly.

The part number for the replacement lamp for your projector [BenQ PB6200] is usually listed as BenQ 60.J8618.CG1. According to the BenQ site; the Lamp is: Type: 200W NSH - for the BenQ PB6200.

Good Luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds