proper way to format

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wolfsktaag, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Wolfsktaag

Wolfsktaag Private E-2

What is the exact proper way to format my computer... last time I tried I couldn't install windows because it even deleted my floppy drivers and cd rom drivers so I couldn't even read the windows cd :( any help appreciated

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

How about some details? Otherwise,make a boot disk and type format \c: I think. This will wipe out anything that you have on your drive. Please post back with more explicit details. I realise that my answer is vague "cause I don't understand your querry:eek:

augie

Last edited: Feb 25, 2003
  3. mutz_nutz_uk

mutz_nutz_uk Private First Class

Well said augiedoggie. More information is required.

However, a basic guide is as follows.

1/ Make a Bootable Floppy Disk with system files (Most OS have an option in the format a: option to make a System Disk)
    2/ Reboot the computer with the Floppy disk in the drive.
    3/ Start computer without CD-Rom support (Quicker, as you will have to restart yet)
    4/ At a: prompt, type fdisk
    5/ In Fdisk program, delete all partitions, logical drives etc.
    6/ Reboot the computer, and repeat steps 3-4
    7/ In Fdisk, this time create Primary DOS partition, and partition this into Extended and Logical drives as per your requirements.
    8/ Reboot the system
    9/ This time, Start Computer WITH CD-Rom support.
    10/ At a: prompt, type format c: (followed by format d:, e: etc for all drive letters you created in FDisk)
    11/ Hit Y to delete all files.
    12/ Once complete, type e: (Or whatever your CD drive has been assigned)
    13/ Type setup
    14/ Windows Setup program will begin and install OS for you.

Only exceptions on above are for Windows 2000 and XP which work a slightly different way. They simply require BIOS to be set to boot from CD-Rom, put CD into drive, and upon reboot the OS setup program will be offered. (I believe 200 is the same in this aspect as XP. Never used it myself)

Without more specific details of your system, we cannot give more specific instructions/advice.

4. Wolfsktaag

Wolfsktaag Private E-2

mutz_nutz_UK well I kinda followed your plan but because i didn't write it down I kinda skipped the deleting partitions steps and just formatted both my HDD using the boot disk and re-installed windows, should that be Okay?

5. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

ya it should be ok .

6. mutz_nutz_uk

mutz_nutz_uk Private First Class

Yes it should be OK. The only reason for deleting partitions was to ensure total cleanliness in your system.

Hope it all went well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds