pros and cons of os on pri smalldrive supporting large drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bugsey Hogan, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Bugsey Hogan

Bugsey Hogan Private E-2

With the ever increasing size of hdd I install Operating service on a 20gb drive and use a larger drive for most everything else.I must say its an age since I played games used to be flight sims mostly. Is there some kind of trade off when using hdd s set up in this manner.The reason I do this is because of malware probs,it s relatively easy to format and reinstall on a small drive and you don t lose so much of your work.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

That's a good reason. Another reason is selective defragmenting; in other words, you can select a drive/partition to defragment rather defragmenting the entire physical drive. However, since all new drives on the market are much larger than 20GB, you can achieve the same objective by partitioning a larger drive and putting your OS on an appropriately sized partition.

Even so, using a drive imaging program such as Acronis TrueImage (not free) or Macrium Reflect (free) would be a way to quickly restore your system in case of malware problems.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

It is a pity that some programs are so poorly written that they default to install their programs into C:\Program Files ( with no options to "Browse" ) that stuff up our intentions to run our PC's how we decide. :cry :(

I have 2 additional Folders named "Keepers" and "Testing" where I try to install new programs to overcome the "Program Files" syndrome, depending on whether I am "keeping" or "testing" ;)

This helps me keep "Program Files" to minimum size and reminds me that my "Testing" stuff needs a more permanent decision to keep, or un-install.

End of rant. :)
    Bazza

===

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I do the same with my security programs on my thumbdrive.
    Once a month they get deleted and updated copies replace them.
    Easier when working on one away from home.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The only reason I partition my hard drives is to install another OS. I've never separated my OS and data. I make an image every few weeks so if something bad happens, I restore the image.
    The downside is that if you are stuck on a slow connection, it can take a while to update the security programs, apply windows patches and re-apply updates for things like flash and java.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds