Protecting wireless network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Garbageman, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Garbageman

Garbageman Private E-2

I Don't think I am doing something right or I have a problem... I have a Belkin wireless that I use for my laptop and I am useing McAfee virus protection and it always says I am not connected to a protected network so when I click protect I get an error saying something to the effect of does not support firmware version of your router or access point check..... for updates I check for updates but still get same error......any help...:confused

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Is that a McAfee feature?

I'm not familiar with any recent version of McAfee. But, let's talk about your router. Have you enabled WEP or WPA security in your router? WPA provides better security than WEP. For more in this, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access

Do you know how to access your router admin panel? What model is your router?

3. Garbageman

Garbageman Private E-2

yes it is a feature..in the control panel under protection tools it says "Protect wireless router/AP" then under that it says "add a wireless router or access point to your protected network" then off to the side a highlighted box that says protect...
    I have enabled wep 10 digit I have access it once before but dont remember the number to put in browser...also it is a Belkin wireless G plus router model number F5D7231-4......I have this laptop useing wireless and my desktop hooked directly to the router...

4. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

5. Garbageman

Garbageman Private E-2

I appreciate your guys help but I think I will just leave it alone...when I went to update firmware wouldnt do it said something about bad checksum...Im too lost....so ill just leave it before I mess it up:eek:

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Well, it's your choice but I would not want to leave my wireless connection unsecured. Accessing your router admin panel should achievable by simply entering 192.168.2.1 in your web browser's address box and hit enter. Here's an excerpt from Quick Setup Guide for MacĀ®F5D6230-3: "In the address bar, type the following address: 192.168.2.1. The Router login screen
    will appear. Enter "Admin" in the User Name field, and do not enter anything in the 'Password' field. Click 'OK'
    ."

Obviously, this may not be right guide for your router; we don't know what model you have. But, you should be able to find documentation on Belkin's website for your router. Once you find the documentation for your model, follow the procedure for enabling wireless security via that admin panel. I'm sure you can do this without doing any firmware update.

You would also need to create some wireless security settings in Windows so that it's using the same security specifications as the router.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds