Protection for WinVista?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boccemon, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

I am getting a new 64 bit XPS-420 Dell computer with Windows Vista Home Premium as the OS. I have used CCleaner, Spybot S&D, and SpyWareBlaster with confidence for a very long time. Will these programs work on 64 bit Vista? If not, what can I use? Also, the machine comes with a 15 month Trend Micro as the AV. Will AVAST! work with 64 bit Vista? I also prefer OutPost as my firewall, will it work? I looked in the menu and most said "Win All", but another said "Vista32", and this causes me some confusion. Thanks in advance...BocceMon

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yes to all of the above, except Outpost. That I dont know. You sure you are getting 64 bit Vista? Thats usually not the case unless you specifically order it as such.

3. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

Thank you Adrynalyne. Yes, I special ordered the 64 bit version, it seems that is going to be the norm in the future.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Not for a while, but hey ;)

32 bit software should usually work on 64 bit vista, with a couple of caveats.

Any software that uses drivers, or hardware for that matter, must be 64 bit.

Obviously, all drivers must be 64 bit, and signed.

While some exceptions, there shouldnt be too much difference in compatibility with 64 bit windows.

5. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

Thanks again!! I just double checked my order (it's supposed to arrive today or tomorrow) and it is indeed 64 bit.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ok, well keep in touch (long time no see) if you have any troubles :)

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Outpost 4.0 and Security Suite 2007 are not Vista compatible but the latest Outpost Pro 2008 (6.0.2225.232.465.287) is Vista 64bit compatible, but you need the x64 version as they have two downloads one for x86 for 32bit OS, and x64 for 64bit OS.

Just a reminder to uninstall Trend Micro if your to use AVAST and Outpost as AV and FW respectively.

8. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

Thanks Halo. FWIW, after I got responses on this post I went to the dell chat and made some inquiries. An admin posted that he had sent me an e-mail and that I was to read it and contact the ordering department. Seems that the girl that took my order did not have her stufff together. I was then told that the XPS-420 that I ordered has 64 bit capabilities, but at present Dell computers do not support that WinVista 64 bit OS and that I would be getting a 32 bit system that I could upgrade when they do support this OS. That is very confusing to me, but that is what they told me. It has something to do with the dual core 6600 processor. At any rate, I've needed a new computer for a while now and what I'm getting will surely beat the WinME (yeah...ME) set up that I presently have. It has served me well actually, but of late the screen is blue more often than not. I will certainly heed you guys' advice as it has served me well in the past!! BocceMon

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds