Proxy servers and website blocking!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Amjad, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

Good day,

I will walk you step by step through my scenario, and I hope if you could help.
    I used to block certain websites by using the hosts file (the traditional way).
    for example, adding the following entry:
    127.0.0.1 facebook.com

But if you use a proxy server, you will bypass the hosts file...

Anyway, I moved to the next level, I configured a DNS server in my enterprise and made all Internet requests go through it, and when a desired website is requested, I added an entry for that website inside the Forwarders tab inside the DNS properties.
    When that site is requested, and instead of directing the requests to the actual preferred DNS server provided by my ISP, I redirect it to a local IP on my network, resulting in a "website not found" error....

But even this technique is not working when the user uses a proxy server inside Firefox or IE! I just don't know what to do more! Do I need to filter requests inside the router? It's not recommended! I mean if I have DNS server shouldn't I be able to use that huge control provided to me?

Awaiting your replies...
    Thanks in advance...

2. Geminiione

Geminiione Private First Class

What is your need for a proxie? if we knew that it would be easier to find solution

3. geekahertz

geekahertz Private E-2

Hes not looking to use a proxie server. Hes trying to control what sites some people access through his network. But there are people who are finding ways to get around his control by using proxy servers.

4. Geminiione

Geminiione Private First Class

Then let me tell you how it is for me. as the network admin for a school it is a constant battle trying to keep up with what sites the kids use. i use a hardware solution and even then it is hard to keep up. to do it your way i can not see working, if someone is determined to bypass what you have setup. sorry wish i could help.

5. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

Yes indeed.
    People are using proxy servers to use certain blocked sites (and mainly Facebook).

Even governments are not making any success (ISPs) because these proxy servers are originally found to bypass the blocking of the ISP itself...

6. Amjad

Amjad Corporal

Don't worry, you did your best thank you.
    But do you mean you use the ACL inside your router? I wish if you could be more specific about this hardware solution of yours...

:confused

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds