PSU Blown - Whats the cause?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by faylynne, Feb 8, 2011.

1. faylynne

faylynne Private E-2

Hi,

my desktop blue screened yesterday, (before it shut down, I heard a slow constant clicking - not sure if this has any relevance).
    When I switched power back on (before system started) there was a pop and the PSU started smoking...
    The hard-drives are ok, can access them via another system.

The question is: could a faulty power connector on the mobo have caused the psu to blow and if this is a possibility how can I check the mobo before I fit a new psu?
    My guess is, if there's a problem with the mobo it would short itself and shut-down, not affecting the psu?
    The above may be a daft question, but its hard to find 'easy reading' info. on power supplies, and I'm no electrician.

(This may be a red herring but I had some intermittant problems with the pc shutting itself down a while ago, and when I checked the mobo, the four pin plug from the psu wasnt sitting properly, so I assumed it was a 'wobbly connector' and ensured it was pushed firmly down - the pc has worked ok ever since)

If anyone can help I'd be really grateful, as I don't want to fit a new psu before getting some insight into what has happened.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Age? Overuse? Quality? Hard to say what caused it, maybe a blown capacitor? As to a mobo killing a PSU, the reverse is the reality especially with a catastrophic meltdown like yours, I've seen people losing most everything due to a crappy PSU.

One needs the following protections in their PSU:

Over Current
    Over Voltage
    Over Power
    Under Voltage
    Short Circuit

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  3. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Looks like the PSU has definitely gone to me, best way to check if other bits have gone too is to get another power supply and test it.

Chose one from Corsair, Antec, SeaSonic, XFX, OCZ or Enermax to ensure this does not happen again. If you want we can help select the best power supply for yourself, what are your system specs? Use Everest to find out of you don't know, what is your budget? What is your prefered online retailer? Do you have any upgrade plans in the near future?

Burrell.

4. faylynne

faylynne Private E-2

thanks to Burrell and augiedoggie for your advice.
    I ordered a Corsair 500W CX PSU almost immediately that the psu melted...needed to get my pc back up and running as soon as pos.
    I'm not a gamer so didnt go for a higher spec. and have no plans to upgrade in the near future.
    I usually get my components from ebuyer...Ive used them before and they're reasonably reliable, plus they show all the customers reviews.
    I also scanned all my old pc mags for info on psu's and got the impression that for mid-range price, Corsair was ok, so went with that brand.
    Will post what the outcome is when Ive fitted it....
    Just to go back to an earlier question, is there a diagnostic program I can run that will hi-light any damage or weakness to the motherboard?
    Also, the protections that augiedoggie mentioned that are needed in a psu, should these be built into it or do I need to have additional equipment fitted?

FL

5. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Not specifically, but you can get software that tests the memory (Memtest) , CPU (Prime 95) and graphics cards (Msi Kombustor) indivually, as far as i am aware there are no MB diagnostic software (That actually does anything)

That PSU you have ordered has all the required protection, so you don't need to do anything.

6. faylynne

faylynne Private E-2

To close off this thread, I fitted the new PSU and thankfully nothing else had been damaged.
    In fact this brings to light the fact that the pc had been misbehaving on and off in the past and I hadn't thought the psu was the problem.
    Another lesson learnt....

7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Good to hear! You should now have many years ahead with your rig.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds