PSU makes crakeling/buzzing noise when I flick the rear switch on but then stops

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DJ-mcwolf, Jun 19, 2013.

1. DJ-mcwolf

DJ-mcwolf Private E-2

Hi all

I recently built a new gaming rig but recycled an old Antec truepower quattro 1000w that I had in my 5 year old gaming rig as it still worked fine.

I was making the wires in my new system all neat and the next day when I flicked the PSU ON/OFF button ON at the rear of the PC it started making the crackling/buzzing noise that you get when you don't fully plug in a kettle plug cable into a psu except this time mine was fully plugged in.

The noise stops after a about 5 seconds but it seems to be happening whenever the PSU is turned off and then turned back on again.The PC Runs fine and there are no odd noises when its on.

Is this a sign that I should get a new PSU before something bad happens to the other parts of my system?

System Spec

I7-3770K
    GSkill 16GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 4gb ddr5
    Corsair h100i
    one Samsung SSD 250GB
    3 normal 7200 rpm Sata HDD's
    1 dvdrw drive
    5 120mm fans
    1 large 220mm fan with LEDs

Thanks in advance

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks!

Given the money you have invested in the other parts, I would err on the side of caution and replace the PSU. If the noise is an impending short circuit, serious damage could occur.

3. DJ-mcwolf

DJ-mcwolf Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds