PSU Problem, Can black wire/yellow wire 8 pin plugin work for 4 pin ATX 12v socket?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fifthmanstanding, Feb 11, 2011.

1. fifthmanstanding

fifthmanstanding Private E-2

Question:

I have a computer with an Asus MZN68-LA mobo in it. My friend wanted to add a graph card to his computer. His factory PSU did not have PCI-E plugs to power the graph card so he bought a PSU as well to solve that problem. The new PSU in question is here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

The new PSU fit fine and I began plugging everything up, until I got to the 4 pin ATX12V socket on the motherboard. I realized the new PSU seemingly does not have a single 4 pin ATX12V. There is, however, a black wire/yellow wire (which I take to mean PCI express?) connection that breaks apart from an 8 pin to a 4 pin that would fit fine and, in theory work. What I'm afraid of is having some power supply problem with this massive 650 watt PSU and frying the mobo.

Before I even attempt this, will someone clarify whether or not that's fair game and will work fine?

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Re: PSU Problem, Can black wire/yellow wire 8 pin plugin work for 4 pin ATX 12v socke

That 4+4 connector is made expressly for boards that only have a 4-pin 12V ATX connector, these are not PCI-Express graphics card connectors as those are the 6+2 types. You can't blow a mobo with a high-powered PSU as the board will only take what it needs and the rest will be wasted as heat from the PSU. Sounds like a heavy graphics card was installed, enjoy the gaming!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds