Pulled graphics card and put it back. Now my computer wont boot.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roryt2000, Jan 13, 2012.

1. roryt2000

roryt2000 Private E-2

So, I've been having an issue with a noisy fan on my graphics card. This has been going on for a while. There haven't been any issues with it, aside from being annoying. Well I pulled it out to inspect it to see if anything was visibly wrong. There wasn't, so I put it back.

Now when I try to boot up my computer, everything comes on normally (fans, lights, etc.) but I get nothing on my screen and my keyboard doesn't light up. Just nothing happens.

The card is seated properly, all cables are connected, and so on. I've already tried pulling the battery on the board, disconnecting the power and all that. Nothing worked. What could possibly be the problem?

2. Stuyvesant

Stuyvesant Private E-2

Sounds like your graphics card is done for. Get some cheap $20 card and try it just to be sure, but it does sound like it's done.

Gl

3. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

It's possible that you damaged the video controller when pulling it out, either physically or through a static discharge. It's also possible that some dust was around the controller that fell into the slot when you removed it and is now causing a problem.

I would suggest removing the controller again, blowing things out, make sure the slot contacts on the controller are clean and reinstalling it.

4. roryt2000

roryt2000 Private E-2

I don't know, I made sure to stay grounded the whole time and I was very careful taking it out. I've had to do it a few times before to clean out my case.

Anyway, I pulled it out, cleaned the contacts, used compressed air on the pci-e slot. Nothing.
    Tried changing cords, changing outputs. Nothing.

Guess its dead then? Amazing how just pulling it out of the case managed to kill it completely. Great.

5. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I think it was Forest Gump that coined the phrase, "It Happens".

6. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Does the video card's fan run noisily as usual after the cleaning?

7. roryt2000

roryt2000 Private E-2

Yeah, it was definitely dead.

Bought a GTX560 2GB, put it in and it worked right away. I guess it's for the best, the old one was giving me trouble anyway and the fan grinding was driving me a little nuts. I'm not sure how good the new card is compared to my 3870x2, but it seemed comparable. Hopefully it'll be okay.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! :)

8. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Good card man, enjoy!:cool

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds