pulling out Memory sticks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grunty, Dec 12, 2007.

1. grunty

grunty Private E-2

I use a memory stick so i can bring my schoolwork home with me and take work into school easly
    But at school there is no safely remove hardware option so i usually just pull the stick out once it stops flashing and ive closed all files down
    When doing this is their any risk i can lose data or damage the stick?

thanks.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I think you'll be safe as long you are ALWAYS careful to make sure any data transfer activity has stopped before you remove the flash drive.

By the way, you might inquire to the IT folks at school about this. Perhaps they will re-enable the safely remove hardware feature, assuming it was not deliberately disabled for some reason.

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

i have an older 32mb one and i have lost data on it. i am not 100% sure that it happend because i didn't do the safe remove hardware option, but i didn't do anything else. btw, it was in Windows ME.

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Not sure what os your using but anyway right click the drive in mycomputer "If your school allows you to" and click eject,you can be sure all transfers have finished then.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds