Purchasing Microsoft Word & Excel

Discussion in 'Software' started by ANHEDONIC, Aug 12, 2005.

1. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

my sister wants to order a preassembled computer from dell... supposedly it will cost her like $150 to get Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook... she says she will never use outlook...

what is the cheapest way to get Word & Excel? I can't imagine you would have to spend $150 for them as that will wind up being 25% the cost of the computer itself... Is it easy to find these programs on Ebay?

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

You could check around. I don't buy software on ebay, various reasons. Have a look here http://majorgeeks.pricegrabber.com/home_catpage.php/catzero=8

I would imagine the cost that Dell cited was for Office Standard Edition. If your sister doesn't want the latest version XP or 2000 can be relatively inexpensive.

3. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

okay there are some selling for around $30, but it says OEM version? anyone know what that refers to? (also some mention of it coming without the retail box but that isn't really a huge deal)

4. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

Most likely it is surplus software from one of the PC companies and is being sold through a software clearing house.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

You just miss the box and manuals and generally support with OEM, but manuals and how to's are all over MS Office pages and the internet.

IF she is a student you can get cheaper deals, or if not a student some companies do offer employees MS Home Use software for next to nothing ( I get MS office 2003 pro for £20 because my employer deals with MS )

Edit...SPD posted way before me... watching TV and not posting for ages.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds