Purchasing new system: Parts compatible? Sufficient cooling for overclocking?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by How2Crab, Nov 15, 2011.

1. How2Crab

How2Crab Private E-2

Hello.

My old rig has gotten severely outdated, so I decided it was time to upgrade.

I am not the most tech-savvy person though, and I'm somewhat unsure if all the parts I have chosen are compatible - or if there is a bottleneck somwhere.

http://www.inet.se/kundvagn/visa/1125356/time2order

I will be using this system mostly for gaming - no other demanding software such as video/image rendering or 3D modelling will be done. But I still would like to have it slighty overclocked so that I gain some performance while still staying at a safe and stable level at all times.

Is the Cooler Master 212 + enough if I were to overclock the i5 2500k to around 4 - 4,5 GHZ?

Any feedback is welcome, regardless of nature.

Thank you for reading.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

It looks OK from what I can see if that bloody inet logo wasn't there! Anyways, that's a great motherboard but I can't see what RAM that you chose as OC'ing will depend a lot on that.

The Corsair TX650W will be fine for one video card but not two, as you're speccing in a dual PCI-ex16 motherboard, do you plan to go xfire at a later date?

I have the Hyper 212+ cooler on my extremely OC'd 2600K and it does a fine job of keeping my CPU at 70C 24/7 at full load. You should have no issues pushing that sucker to 4.5 gigs, I've seen folks get it to 4.8 gigs, not because of heat. Just watch out for the sharp edges on that sucker. Ouch!:-D

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  3. How2Crab

How2Crab Private E-2

Thank you for the reply!

The iNet logo that comes up with the two options are to specify whether you want the prices in their store "Butikspriser" or online prices "Webbpriser"

The RAM I've chosen is the lowprofile version of the "Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE" - as I've read that some people have troubles fitting the heatsink+fan on certain motherboard.

I have not fully decided if I am to go for crossfire later (though I am tempted to, most say it's not worth it) - but 'someone' on a certain imageboard told me that the PSU would suffice for another 6870. He might have not been good for his words.

4. augiedoggie

I don't see why you're getting half height RAM as you're getting full ATX components anyways(I didn't even know they existed)?

As to xfire, perhaps a 1.5x gain. I really don't know ATI. Perhaps that person is right in saying a 650 is enough, for now, marginally. Checkout http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp, they don't seem to be affiliated with any power supply company.

5. How2Crab

How2Crab Private E-2

I had no idea the components were "Full ATX", whatever it means :O
    Just that they had the ATX form factor

The reason I'm going with the Low Profile version of the RAM sticks is because as I mentioned: Some people with this mobo has had some issues fitting their CPU cooler because of the RAM, though I guess that won't be a problem since I'm only getting two sticks :)

They're only 20kr (less than 2$) more each, sol I'll stick with em if I have to add more RAM sticks later on.

Also: I did run that PSU wattage calculator on my setup clocked to 4,5 GHz and with both one and two 6870

With ONE HD 6870 and 4,5 OC: Minimum - 390 W Recommended - 440 W
    Wth TWO HD 6870 and 4,5 OC: Minimum - 390 W Recommended - 543 W

6. augiedoggie

Hmm, interesting to say the least on the power. However, you can see that running two cards is getting dangerously close to your 650W max specs. I always go 1.5x on the power just to make sure that I have enough over the years.

As to your cooler, it is a big sucker but fits parallel with the RAM. Damn close fit though I'd agree. If you are really scared of that, then I'd recommend a Corsair H60, at least double the price of a 212+ though. I have the H50 here I like it but if overclocking, the vregs(to the left of the CPU) and the Northbridge to the south, won't get enough cooling as these boards were not designed for that kind of lack of airflow.

Perhaps yours is. I have no idea.

7. How2Crab

How2Crab Private E-2

8. augiedoggie

So you like that TX750 eh, that's what's powering both my machines. It should be just fine. As to heat, that 212+ I know will keep your CPU cooled properly, especially if you put a second fan on the heatsink for push/pull operation, the only question is will it fit and most likely it will as there are standards to follow. I have 1/2 inch clearance between the cooler fan and the RAM.

9. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Chalk one up for Corsair. I have the HX490 which is awsome.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds