"Pure" versus "Simulated" Sine Wave UPS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gman863, Sep 30, 2011.

1. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

While researching a uninterpretable power supply (UPS) battery backup system for a client today, I ran across some information that is confusing me. It states that most home/small office grade UPS units from APC (such as the BX1000G) use simulated (not real) sine wave output operating in battery backup mode.

What makes this a significant issue is that it appears many systems with 80 PLUS and/or Energy Star PSUs do not work properly when on a battery backup with a simulated sine wave output:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R18153ODSMPPLY/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R18153ODSMPPLY

http://nam-en.apc.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8883

In addition to posting this as a "heads up" for other members, I'd also like to hear input and feedback from anyone who has experienced this issue first hand (brand/model of hardware, performance issues, etc)..

I've already sent an e-mail to APC requesting a list of hardware makes and models that have known issues with simulated sine wave UPS. Given the outrageous cost of a pure sine UPS versus a simulated sine, I would prefer to stick with hardware that will work with simulated sine on my home office/small business custom builds.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I recently bought an APC Pro 1000 for both my sig rigs and it performs well enough. I just need it for outages of between momentary to a minute which it gets through with flying colours! Both my PSU's are Corsair TX750W's 80 Plus Bronze. All I can say is it works for my needs.

3. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I'm also running APCs on both my home and shop PCs with no problems at all (the 1000G actually lasted over 40 minutes in my shop yesterday running an AMD Athlon II x2 265 w/ 600w PSU and 24" ASUS monitor after a severe thunderstorm knocked out power to the shopping center).

My concern is designing, bidding and installing client systems. If I price out a BX1000G UPS @ $160 as part of the system build and it turns out it is incompatible with the PSU or other hardware, it won't be an easy task telling the client, "Uh, I screwed up...I hope you won't mind paying an extra $250 for a pure sine wave battery backup". :heli :flip

4. augiedoggie

Hehehe.:p Hey, that's not too many complaints AFAIC. However, things go BOOM all the time. I can't help you here as you have more experience than I can ever hope for unless I worked for APC quality assurance.

I'll leave this thread hoping a fellow tech can help you more instead of my anecdotal account which really doesn't count for crap in the big scheme of things in your business.;)

5. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Sorry if the wording of my last post came out wrong. I did not mean to insult you or belittle your thoughts.

Although I have used APC almost exclusively to this point in my client and personal builds, I'm concerned APC is sweeping this issue under the rug. Hell Hath No Fury like a client with a brand new system that is f:***ing up. :-D

6. augiedoggie

No problem at all gman, I know my limits.;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds