puter go fast

Discussion in 'Software' started by laurieB, Oct 2, 2005.

1. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

well thanks to the genius of the geeks, i now have puter back. :) however i still need help. whilst we were roaming around the puters deepest darkest reaches, there are a lot of files, programs, proccesses, etc. that i do not understand. i have downloaded a lot of tools that i do not know if i still need. i now have firefox and IE, and need help to figure out if and why i need both. i also need to reset program controls so that this cannot happen again. non of this is urgent, and both hubby and son have been bannned from touching it untill i say its sorted. i love you guys. aloha and my thanks to all

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

First step is to create a second limited user account for your husband and son.

3. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

ok, and how do i do that effectively. :)

4. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

don't forget, baby steps. i haven't learned THAT much on my forays into puter land.

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Sorry i gotta stop thinking everyone nows lots about computers. :) Allright goto the control panel, you should see user accounts, click create a new account, give it a name then click next. Then make sure you put it as a limited account in the next screen. There you go :), and if they currently know your logon password please change it so the only way they can logon is on the limited account.

6. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

ok. will do. :)

7. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

PS. they have both had to put up with me having the right raving hump for the last three days (quaint old english saying meaning 'very annoyed'). that means :_ no washing, shopping, cooking, cleaning, affection, or communication. i think they may have got the message. i am also going to go through the photo's and delete duplicates etc. and save to disc, as that is the only thing i really don't want to lose. that may take a while, so i will be back when I've done, or with questions on doing it. much aloha as always

8. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Laurie, you should use Firefox as your primary browser, and only use IE when needed, such as Windows Updates, and a few other sites that are optimized for Internet Explorer. The other applications I transfered to you can can keep or dump your choice; Ewido is a good app I would keep that one.

As far as locking down your system take a look at this program PeerGuardian 2. I have it loaded, and am testing it; the jury is still out.

9. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

ok.......................

10. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

how do i set content controls on firefox? how do i set different controls for each account? how do i set IE for windows and not the other stuff? does ewido play nicely with my other programmes like antivir and zone alarm, and how do i set it?
    let me know what you think about peerguardian.
    i have opened limited user accounts for both of them, and changed the admin password.much aloha

11. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

just done one of those speed test thingies. does this look right to you? is the upload, and download supposed to be different?

Attached Files:

12. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

its my ping. ? lol. ok if that looks normal than thats ok. (should i test my ping?lol) still paranoid i guess from all the puter go slow stuff. thanks for the reassurance. ps must get iespell on firefx lol

13. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

which i dont. my son plays runescapes but thats about it., its just that the update from antivir seemed to take a long time, so i got all worried. :)

14. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

http://infospeed.verizon.net/ your ISPs test, even so they are all subject to network traffic and can vary at time of day run, question... what is the speed of the package you have from Verizon 620kb, 720kb, 1mb, 2mb etc? if its 620kb download speed then thats pretty good.

its also very rare that you will get the full advertised speed as certain overheads and again amount of network traffic will affect speeds, if you are close then its good.

Even tho your download speed woudl be say 620kb, its not always the case that you will download from a server at the full speed, depending on server load/bandwidth you may well end up with dialup speeds.

15. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

this is the verizon test

Attached Files:

16. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

verizon dsl. but its not on ethernet, its connected on usb.

17. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

no idea. :). i have looked on the CD and paperwork and it doesnt say. im not sure that there is different packages.
    anyhow. back to current probs.
    shadow:- you said to try a different server to download updates on spybot? (still getting 'bad checksum". did you mean to download from new on MG, or change something on the current version?

18. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

19. Shadow_Puter_Dude

After you press Search for Updates, select a server from the download list.

[​IMG]

20. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

Ok.......:)

21. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

ok thats one thing less on my list. i am trying to work through the things i have got and update/reset everything. i am very confused :( i do not even know where to start.
    these are my current dilema's :-

browsers?

firefox/IE/MSN...........what to set to what on what. i have reset the content control on IE.

protection programs:-
    spybot which is now up to date. thankyou shadow.i dont know how much or what settings i messed with, or whether that matters any.
    spyblaster..which is up to date and doing its thing
    antivirXP....which has been updated today, but still seems to be having difficulty updating and completing
    zone alarm...which is doing its thing. i dont think i changed anything in it during my recent trips to puterland, but i should probably go through it with someone who understands it.
    ewido...which is a demo. i dont know what it does, but it seems happy doing it. :)

i also have cleanup and ccleaner.

22. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

$29.99 pm rofl. all i learnt about the subject today was that i have pings.
    its working fast enough for me at the mo. so ill address it later.

23. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

LOL! That last line cracked me up! :D

I'm glad you're still plugging away at this, Laurie. You seem a patient person. Keep up the good work.
    :)
    Eric

24. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Ewido will run fully functional for 14 days, at which time the resident protection and automatic updates will stop; you can still manually update Ewido after that. If you like the program then you can register the software and sign up for their annual subscription service, or you can unistall it. IMO Ewido is a keeper.

25. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

ok. :) ill try keep it. do i have to set anything on it. ?

26. Shadow_Puter_Dude

No just leave the default settings.

27. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

what about the default server/browser thing? i updated windows as well today. will it just stay on IE or do i have to make it. (beat it over the head ) the mail is still on IE, although i can access it on firefox. how do i change it? and windows wants MSN for reasons that escape me, and so does verizon. lol.

i can still do everything though. its just that this seems the logical place to start. much much aloha

28. theefool

theefool Geekified

Well, you can beat it over the head by doing thus:

Click start, control panel, internet options, Programs Tab, Uncheck "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser."

Not sure about MSN. Should be an option similar. Then, just use Firefox.

For verizon, there is a way to get rid of all the junk that verizon forces down your throat. But, I believe it takes a router to accomplish this ( i could be wrong ).

When ever I hookup a Verizon DSL connection for a customer, I NEVER install their software.

29. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

ok, so went there and that bit was already done. the msn thing came up a few times whilst i was wandering the interior. something about default mail. hasnt appeared since so maybe just ignor it? ditto verizon? they werent any help anyway.lol

so next question would be content control on firefox, or does it just use the one on IE?

:)

30. theefool

theefool Geekified

I wish I could give you an answer. So, I'll give you an excuse instead. ;)

I don't use the OFFICIAL release of FireFox. I use the daily updated version, which fixes and breaks things, uh, daily. :)

Officialy, I've been using FireFox(FireBird/Pheonix) for a good 4 years now. Never had a real malware issue.

Thunderbird as email also.

Sunbird as my calendar.

31. Shadow_Puter_Dude

32. theefool

theefool Geekified

Errgh, forgot about email. What email program do you use?

33. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

yahoo??

34. theefool

theefool Geekified

Yahoo, as in internet mail?

mail.yahoo.com? If so, then no problem. FireFox works great with that. (Or anyother browser for that matter).

35. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

yes. so its ok? it goes to the mail from the home page, but there is a seperate desktop icon for the mail, and thats still set to IE.

36. Shadow_Puter_Dude

On the Yahoo! Mail icon, right-click select Properties, replace the contents of the Target box with "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" http://mail.yahoo.com. Do this With the Yahoo! Mail icons in your Start Menu also.

37. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

did that, little box came up saying the name 'c:\program files' is not valid. i reduced it to http://mail.yahoo.com and it would have that either.

this is what is on it C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\YMMAPI~1.DLL,OpenURL http://mail.yahoo.com/?.redir=ymmapi9

as for the content control, more questions.
    does the host file whatnot apply to firefox as well as IE?
    although i appreciate that firefox is more secure as far as letting in malware,
    if it doesnt allow me any control over where it goes, maybe im better of with IE??
    i dont need to prevent everything, just the worst hardcore stuff, including games with lots of blood and gore, which i find equelly offensive. i am fairly open minded, but there is a limit.
    i am reticent about installing programs that babysit for me, as i am unsure how discriminate they are. hubbie and son are still banned from puter until i feel i have this sorted. aloha.

38. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Copy this "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" http://mail.yahoo.com quotes included, then paste it into the target box in properties for the shortcut.

The hosts files apllies to all internet connections.

Firefox doen't have content control like IE.

39. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

bum. did that. little box did not come up. but now i cant access the shortcut at all, lol.

40. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

ok, so glad i pasted the target box. lol. so its back to what it was. ie., IE. lol.
    still cant see that firefox is a good choice though, if one wants any control over sites visited. or does the hosts thing pretty much take care of it? much aloha
    ps, went back through chaslangs article in spyware, and followed the instructions for active x. but again, this is only going to apply to IE, isnt it?

41. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Laureie replace the contents of the Target box. Delete everyting in it and paste the other command into the box, the http: address included. There is a space between " and h.

Disabling ActiveX only works for IE. Content Control is an IE only function, Firefox doesn't have a similar function. Yo would need a third party application for that. The hosts file works for both.

42. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

ok. done that. what happens is that instead of comming up as a seperate page on mail, it changes the page i am on to mail. (ie. this one. lol)

so i will take a closer look at peerguardian. :)

43. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

looked at peerguardian, but didnt understand what it does. what i need is a way of blocking XXX rated sites. (If there is such a thing). or a program that has 'levels' of censorship. jacob plays runescape, which although p2p, seems harmless enough, and we would like kazaa back, or something like it to download music from. peerguardian, if i understand correctly would block those but not hardcore sites neccessarily.

44. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

45. Shadow_Puter_Dude

46. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

:) thanks

47. Shadow_Puter_Dude

48. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

lets, talk about the seperate accounts then. what exactly is a limited account. what is it they cannot do?

49. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

oh...it has to be that one because of the name. (naomi...long story) i think it depends on how much i can control it. having read the frequently asked questions, not very much!. i think it will probably be shutting down all over the place, unless i become jehova's whitness. (no offence to Jehova or his whitnesses :) ) is it just me, or does there seem to be a question of extremes here? no control, or total censorship?

50. Shadow_Puter_Dude

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds