Putting 2 OS isos in 1 dvd

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nexus_, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

Linux distros are usually small

Meaning i could fit 2 or more in a dvd.

I want to put a 32 bit/64 bit distro of ubuntu and other distros but do not want to actually ''waste'' 2 dvd's since the isos are small enough to fit in 1.

Is it possible to somehow merge the isos and make them both bootable from 1 dvd?

2. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Corporal

What you want is a Menu System, right? So you can 'enact' whichever installation you want?

An ISO typically means, "This is a virtual envelope containing exact Sector-by-Sector Addresses for every bit and byte of data to create a CD or DVD." ONE CD. Or ONE DVD. To burn the one disk, I use the Image File - ISO - to re-create a sector-by-sector 're-creation'.

Now, I can store any number of ISO files onto a CD or DVD - however many will fit. But I'm burning a "Data Disk" at that point, not burning an "Image of an ISO disk".

If I wanted to create a disk holding THE CONTENTS of the ISOs, I'd 'unzip' the ISOs into their own folder structure, then I'd drag each Folder Structure to a DVD (or CD -depending on capacity requirements), then I'd build some simple batch-file menu. I might also create a bootable disk, too.

"Type 1 to install 64-bit..."
    "Type 2 to install 32-bit..."
    etc.

Is this what you mean?

The distinction is between Burning A Data Disk and Burning an Image-File Disk.

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

4. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

The later is actually what i wanted, as a ''data cd'' is kind of useless for what i want to use the disk for. Can you elaborate more a bit regarding the '' simple batch file menu''?

5. K@ABC

K@ABC Private E-2

Try SARDU. It's a multiboot creator that can create CD/DVD's & usb

6. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Corporal

A great thing about threads like these are that difference experiences yield a wider range of options than I've spent time researching. I've grown so used to do it my way and it seems easy enough to me TO DO but I realize it takes a bit of programming and file-system choices. "What do you mean no one's using OS/2 anymore? SINCE WHEN-?!! Oh well, at least I still have DR-DOS..."

But here, I've got Foogoo and KABC's choices to research.

7. Hedon James

Hedon James Sergeant

I know this is possible, as every month I get a multi-boot DVD with 3-5 distros to choose from; the DVD is a companion to my Linux Format subscription.

I can't find anything regarding multi-boot DVD, as most multi-booters use USB flash drives. A multi-boot USB stick looks easy:
    http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/3207/multiple-livecds-on-one-usb

You've got me curious now, though. Interesting question!

EDIT: Are you looking to do this from a Win Machine, or a Linux machine? I'm assuming Ubuntu, since you referenced the 32 & 64 bit versions; I found this link to success:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1767308

8. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

:wave

SARDU Multiboot USB and CD or DVD Creator

9. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I can't figure out how to actually combine or put 2 isos in 1 dvd. This program seems like it just creates isos, or bootable usb.

I already have the iso's i merely wanted to put both of them in 1 dvd and both of them being bootable

10. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

This is from the SARDU website:

11. foogoo

12. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

This was probably the best method as it is incredibly easy to use.

I was able to put about 4 different dystros

13. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

The xboot software doesn't support pear or bodhi linux distros though , actually most softwares don't seem to.

Which one is compatible with these, or maybe i am setting something up wrong

14. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

They're both based on Ubuntu. You could try putting them in as Ubuntu distros.

15. foogoo

16. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

The QEMU preview feature doesn't seem to be helpful in terms of knowing if it will actually work on a dvd.

The preview option can see how the starting interface looks like and it can detect the operating systems i put but it won't launch into them so i can't tell if they work on a dvd or not.

For example the menu looks to work fine and then i see the ''pear os'' logo and it gives me an option to boot live cd, or the timer does it automatically. I press Ok the screen goes white in he computer and then i get a gray screen with bascally lines in it. It does this for every operating system i want to test before i actually burn the iso into a dvd.

I mention i can't tell if the iso is good because the last dvd i made one of the linux dystros worked while 3 others didn't. The preview doesn't fully boot any of them so i can't tell.

The first option i tried was Grub4dos ISO Emulation since it didn't have an option for the linux dystros. That didn't work, when i try to boot from the live dvd they just crash or get grey screens with an invalid error

I made an iso putting the files as ''ubuntu'' but like i mentioned the preview doesn't seem to fully boot any of them so i can't tell if it will work on the dvd. I have to get more dvd's to try it out but i rather not waste one.

Another thing when i put to put the file as ''ubuntu'' it increases the iso size by a bit more so i can fit less dystros.

I made an iso with 4 of them but it comes out to exactly 4.7 gb ( the size a dvd has). I am rather sure this won't fit in it, so i was trying to compress it but that only results in converting the iso into a different file type which can't be burned into a dvd.

Is there another method to compress the iso while keeping the iso extension?

How much space do dvd's actually have to store? I am guessing 4.3-4.4 gb?

17. foogoo

Don't waste CDs, after you make an ISO test it in MobaLiveCD.

http://mobalivecd.mobatek.net/en/download.html

Or VirtualBox, VMWare, or Virtual PC.

Actual space on a DVD 4.35 - 4.39 GB.. different places have a different number

18. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

Regarding the xboot software and testing the isos in one of these programs neither work seem to work with bodhi and pear.

I tried putting them as ubuntu and grub4dos iso emulation and they will try to launch the live cd but crashes shortly after. I get a black screen with a small box with numbers and text saying something like '' cannot find medium for live operating system''

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds