Putting a "virtual drive" on my flash drive....?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Emilias, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Emilias

Emilias Private E-2

I have been racking my brains trying to figure out how to do this:

I know that in my "c" drive I can designate a section of it as the "d" drive, and the computer will show it in My Computer as another drive even though I have not installed another physical hard drive. But, on my flash drive, I am not sure if this is possible...is it? I want to designate a certain section of it as the "X" drive or whatever and have it always be that. I want to do this because when I put my flash drive into my laptop, it is always called the "E" drive. But when I put it in another computer, that computer it is in will be sometimes name it the "I" drive or some other letter.
    I want to have part of my flash drive designated as a specific letter that does not change even though the main flash drive is renamed by the computer I stick it in. It's going to solve alot of problems for me if I can do that for my own cockamamie purposes but I cannot figure it out.
    Please help! :confused:

2. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Don't think that installing a 'RamDisk' drive on your usb flash drive is going to be possible.

I run RamDisk drives on most of my pcs, they create a 'B' drive (but this can be changed to any drive letter). The RamDisk drive is created from ram taken from the physical ram present in your system, so that if your total physical ram is 512Mb and the Ramdisk drive is allocated say 128Mb, then the available physical ram left for your system to use is 384Mb. In addition, the RamDisk drive is a software prog that has to be installed onto the operating system. Once Installed it will show up in 'Device Manager.

Perhaps some other users may have a more informed opinion

Cheers

3. Emilias

Emilias Private E-2

Darn...but you know what?
    I searched around a bit and I came across this article that might be a solution...I was wondering if any of you who would know better could tell me if this would work....?
    The link to the page is:

http://www.pscience5.net/CFPartition.htm

It sounds like it would be the way to go but it also sounds like I would have to use Linux which I do not have on my laptop.

Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds