Putting files onto media server

Discussion in 'Software' started by 0jase, Aug 8, 2006.

1. 0jase

0jase Private E-2

Hi All,
    Im thinking about setting up a media server on my network
    something like the Buffalo Terastation.
    I would like to put all my movies and music etc
    on the media server.
    What is the best way to get movies from my dvd's onto
    the hard drive ?
    Please excuse my ignorance on this as ive never looked into
    getting dvd movies onto a pc.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I've always loved DVD Decrypter as a means of extracting a DVD to hard drive. This creates an ISO file that is an exact copy of the disc's contents. Of course, you would need a media player that will process this filetype.

To this end, I would recommend VLC Media Player. This player has just about every codec you could ever need built in. This baby has played every video file I've ever come across. No hassle. Plus, its lightweight!

Of course, you might not want the WHOLE image on your hard drive. This takes up ALOT of space. (DVD images are typically 3-8GB). Fortunately, you can use DVDShrink to compress and re-author the disc. With this, you can compress the disc to fit on CD (or better), strip menus, special features, alternate languages, etc. This saves alot of room.

3. 0jase

0jase Private E-2

Mada thanks for the speedy reply.
    I have been looking around and i think i have found what i need.
    Its called AoA DVD RIPPER and it can copy dvd's to the hard drive
    as a divx/avi so as the film can be viewed directly from the pc.
    (or so it says)
    Hopefully this will work in much the same way as ripping a music
    album to pc via windows media player.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Ahhh, yes, that's something I had neglected to mention...an AVI converter. Keep in mind that while this is great for space, you will lose some features like menus and special features, as well as the ability to easily burn onto DVD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds