pxe-e61 media test failure check cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bullseye, Mar 2, 2008.

1. bullseye

bullseye Private E-2

Toshiba 2805-s503 computer that I wiped the HDD in order to give to a friend in need who ended up not needing... This was a couple years ago and I put the computer away have not used it since, until today.

So now I am trying to reinstall everything using the recovery cd rom and I get the following error message:

Intel(R) Boot Agent Version 3.0.05
    Copyright (C) 1997-2000, Intel Corporation
    PXE-E61 : Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F : Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
    Insert system disk in drive.
    Press any key when ready....

It just loops from there if I press any key.

In ACPI BIOS, I have set:

Memory
    Total = 131072KB

Password
    not registered

Battery
    Battery Save Mode = Full Power

Peripheral
    Pointing Devices = Auto Selected
    Ext Keyboard "FN" = Disabled
    USB Legacy Emulation = Disabled
    Parallel Port Mode = ECP
    Hard Disk Mode = Enhanced IDE(Normal)

Boot Priority = CD - ROM -> LAN -> HDD -> FDD
    Power On Boot Select = Enabled

Display
    Power On Display = Auto Selected
    LCD Display Stretch = Enabled
    TV Type = NTSC(US)

OTHERS
    CPU Cache = Enabled
    LEvel 2 Cache = Enabled
    Processor Serial Number = Disabled
    Dynamic CPU Frequency MOde = Dynamically Switchable
    Auto Power On = Disabled
    Alarm Volume = HIGH
    System Beep = Enabled

On the 2nd page of the ACPI BIOS, the following is listed:

Configuration = All devices

I/O Ports
    Parallel = LPT1(378H/IRQ7/CH3)

PCI BUS
    PCI BUS = IRQ11

PC CARD
    Controller Mode = Auto Selected

I am unable to change or alter the following:

DRIVES I/O
    HDD = PRIMARY IDE(1F0H/IRQ14)
    CD-ROM = SECONDARY IDE(170H/IRQ15)

Floppy Disk I/O

Floppy Disk = (3f2h/IRQ6/CH2)

In addition to having the boot priority set to CD-ROM, I also have hit F2 to select the boot device, CD-ROM, and get the same exact error already mentioned.

I disassembled the computer this afternoon to see if there were any loose connections. Very easy breakdown. I reseated all the connections and dusted with air blast, etc. Reassembled and same problem occurs.

Do I need a new hard drive? Could it be the dvd/cd rom combo? I really don't want to pay 100 bucks for a new HDD either. Looking for cheap alternatives to get this thing going.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

First thing to do is check the boot order. The message you're getting...
    ...comes from the PC trying to boot from the network. The "check cable" is referring to the ethernet cable, and doesn't mean 'check the hard drive cable' like many people think. This message just means that the PC is trying to boot from the network, and it can't. Not a big deal. But the fact that this is just looping IS a big deal. If you can't boot to the recovery disc either, then something is definitely not kosher. Is the CD free of scratches and clean? Does the light on the CD drive start flashing when you try to boot to the CD? I would suggest creating another bootable CD and trying to boot to it to determine if the CD is at fault or the CD drive is at fault. A hard drive diagnostic on a bootable CD is a good idea; you can kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. I suggest the UBCD. It's a bootable CD chock-full of utilities. Very handy.
    Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) http://www.majorgeeks.com/Ultimate_Boot_CD_Basic_d4019.html
    You'll need burning software that can burn ISO images. Most burning programs can burn ISOs, but if you're not sure, use one of these:
    BurnAtOnce http://www.majorgeeks.com/burnatonce_d3992.html
    BurnAware http://www.majorgeeks.com/BurnAware_Free_Edition_d5839.html
    CDBurnerXP4 http://www.majorgeeks.com/CDBurnerXP_d4242.html (requires .NET Framework 2.0)

3. bullseye

bullseye Private E-2

OK, first thank you for your help. I made the ISO cd as you instructed but still the same result. :(

I rebooted system and hit "C", which redirects to the CD-ROM. I can hear the CDR click and spin inside the drive. Also, the orange light is blinking while it is going on, then goes to solid orange when finished. It clicked and made more noises than the recovery disk does.

After about 30 seconds it goes right back to the PXE - 61 : Media test failure, check cable and so on, then loops as previously stated.

I previously wrote how the BIOS looks and how I set it up in my original post. Does that look right?

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

4. bullseye

bullseye Private E-2

So I have to send my main computer in to HP for service and now I have to get this Toshiba working.

Toshiba told me that this error means that I need a new HDD. I bought a new Toshiba replacement HDD and installed it. Same fracking thing is happening! I get the PXE-E61 media test failure.

So now they are telling me that I should have bought it from Toshiba Direct ($200) and that this new one ($30) is probably defective (exact same model). Now they are just yanking my chain.

I have a working floppy drive and a new HDD with nothing on it and apparently a non working CDrom drive or some internal problem that is making it impossible for it to boot directly at start up, even though I changed it in BIOS and hit "C" at start up which automatically forces it to boot to CD.

So now here is my question: What can I do using the floppy?

I need this computer for 2 weeks for the internet and email only.

Out of the box thinking is more than welcome!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds