Q about Firewalls: ZA

Discussion in 'Software' started by hateuall, Jul 23, 2005.

1. hateuall

hateuall Private First Class

I've used ZA for a long while and am hearing that as ZA keeps going into new releases it is lacking compared to what it once had been. Is it really that much more ubstable or not as good as it once was. How does this compare to others like Sygate and Kerio (FREE VERSIONS FOR ALL OF COURSE)? I'm really concerned eventhough I have a hardware firewall to protect my PC.

2. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

I've been using ZA free for years, updating whenever they told me to, and I've never had a single complaint.

3. hateuall

Do u need more knowledge to run the others compared to ZA. Also, in u'r opinion s would it be a bad idea to switch from ZA.

4. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

The interfaces are different on the others. So, there is a little bit of a learning curve involved, but nothing too dramatic. There's nothing wrong with trying the others, but if you're comfortable with ZA then stay with it. ZA is an excellent software firewall.

5. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

maybe i'm just ignorant but i really don't worry about my firewall too much... i use Sygate Personal Firewall... all i do is block certain components on my pc from accessing the internet... my main concern would not be incomming baddies but a program (spyware as such) being on my computer and trying to send information out.... on one such spyware infection i was able to block a bad .exe from accessing the net and either updating itself or downloading more unwanted crap to my pc...

6. hateuall

so which type is better security wise the ZA type or the types like Sygate. stc.

7. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

i don't think you will get a straightfoward answer regarding which is better... both are GOOD and people tend to prefer whichever one they are comfortable with...

i myself have always used Sygate and been happy with it, so i've never been curious enough to try Zonealarm... my opinion is that both are adequate so you're probably in good shape using either....

8. md2lgyk

md2lgyk I can't follow the rules

Same here, though I've read there are some problems with the latest (last couple of days) update. Actually, I'm not sure the final version is out, since a ZA update check doesn't show it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds