Q:Upgrading to PCI-E from AGP, both Video card and Mobo. Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kranky1, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Kranky1

Kranky1 Private E-2

So, i've recently come to the decision I need to upgrade my computer, I have $400canadian to do what I want my computer to do. Recently i've downloaded FRAPS(familiar, anyone?) trying to se it while gaming to record some footage. I get low FPS without it, with it it's just terrible..so someone suggested I should grab a new video card. I decided I was going to go for the 6800gs OC AGP or te 7800GS AGP, but now someone suggested I should go with PCI-E.

So now I need your help, i'm asking what will I see performance wise going from a ECS 865G-M8 LGA 775 mobo to..
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2274650&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

And a 9200SE Radeon to..
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2458745&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

Now, obviously the eVGa is better but I would like to know if I should grab anything else.. my budget is $400 max.

Hopefully you guys are familiar with gaming(World of Warcraft) and fraps(www.fraps.com)

I'm being told FRAPS would require DDR2 + PCI-E + new video card(9200SE AGP is my current) after being told my video card was the only problem i'm getting low FPS.

My computer specs are..

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    16 kilobyte primary memory cache
    2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Board: 865G-M8
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 03/27/2006

1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
    Slot 'A1' is Empty
    Slot 'A2' has 512 MB
    Slot 'A3' is Empty

80.05 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    36.96 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LG CD-RW CED-8080B [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

SAMSUNG SP0802N [Hard drive] (80.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n S00JJ1QY700282, rev TK200-04, SMART Status: Healthy

RADEON 9200 SERIES [Display adapter]
    RADEON 9200 SERIES - Secondary [Display adapter]
    COMPAQ P75 [Monitor] (16.1"vis, s/n 908CA45TD012, February 1999)

Can you please let me know if i'll need anything more then a new video card / mobo to do what I want to do?(both PCI) I'm being told ECS mobos are bad, I should pickup other manufactures but they require DDR2 while mine is just DDR. Thanks!

-Kranky

2. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

If you go the route of upgrading your motherboard, you will need a new CPU and RAM to go with the new video card. $400CA is not going to get you very far. If you want the best value, either wait until you have enough money to do a decent upgrade (looking at tigerdirect.ca, you would probably need about $600-700) or go with an AGP card. There are still some pretty decent AGP cards out there.

Here is one of the best ones, a 7800GS:
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2410574&CatId=0

A 7600 GS would also be a decent choice:
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2484227&CatId=0

"I'm being told FRAPS would require DDR2 + PCI-E + new video card(9200SE AGP is my current) after being told my video card was the only problem i'm getting low FPS."

FRAPS does not REQUIRE that stuff. Obviously the more powerful the system, the better it will run. But, the biggest problem is definitely your video card. A 9200 SE is a budget card from 2 years ago. It really wasn't much good even back then.

3. Kranky1

Kranky1 Private E-2

Wyatt_Earp, I appreciate your reply and support. I have a question for you, it seems like you know what FRAPS is, if I bought the 7800GS you think i'll be getting more then 20-25 FPS while gaming(World of Warcraft to be exact, everything i son the lowest settings to). Will I be capable of FRAPSing?

Also, I was told I needed the stuff I mentioned to FRAPS, not only a new video card but it must be PCI-E / new mobo and new DDR2), I can't really do that, so i'm a stick with my current setup and grab a 7800GS KO, what do you think?

Much appreciated buddy.

4. Kranky1

Kranky1 Private E-2

Ermm, can't edit but i'll rephrase my question.

simple: how much of an improvment will my 7800GS when upgraded from a 9200SE, drastic / devastating improvment? My friend is getting 40-55 fps(7600GS) while gaming, everything on the highest settings and 20-25 fps while frapsing, will I be getting the same results or even better? I'm currently getting 20-25 FPS while gaming with my current card, everything on it's lowest settings(game settings).

5. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Going from a 9200SE to a 7800GS will be a huge improvement. It will be like night and day.

Also, the 7800GS is a good amount better than even the 7600GS. If you go here:
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&model1=543&model2=531&chart=196
    you can see a comparison of graphics cards. The 7800GS has double the fps of a 7600GS in most of the benchmarks.

P.S. I think these benchmarks were run while using FRAPS.

6. Kranky1

Kranky1 Private E-2

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  7. Kranky1

Kranky1 Private E-2

8. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

It's up to you. Both of them would be good choices. You may be able to just overclock the eVGA card, but I don't know if you want to do that. Also, both of the cards have a lifetime warranty.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds