Quest for Glory 5

Discussion in 'Software' started by Deep Thought, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Deep Thought

Deep Thought Private E-2

From what I can tell I seem to be the only person in the WORLD who has this game but perhaps I'll be lucky.

The next paragraph is really unnecessary ranting about my computers. So skip to the last if you wish.

Vital background information:
    I had this charming piece of crap computer called Surly. 48MB RAM, pentium 166 and most importantly Windows 98. A capacitor exploded. Surly died. Rather than lose all the nifty stuff stored on my harddrive, I put said harddrive into an EVEN CRAPPIER computer called Deep Thought (which is ironic for those of you who know who Deep Thought is) which had a whopping 32MB RAM and all the accompanying slow things. Like Windows 95. Anyway, it was too slow to run my cool QFG5 game so I decided I'd put it on XP. Which didn't work. Then 2000. Which didn't work.

The point of the tale being, does anyone know how to get it working on XP or 2000? It's old, hence 98 is all it's supposed to work with. It installs ok but when I attempt to start it, the first screen pops up. And pops straight back down again. Nothing further occurs.

2. Jamiko

Jamiko Sergeant

With XP, have you tried running the Program Compatibility Wizard? It's at Programs -> Accessories -> Program Compatibility Wizard.

Tell it to run that program as if you have Windows 95/98.

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Are you trying to run 2k/XP on a 32MB pentium 1 ?!?

4. Mr.Wolf

Mr.Wolf Private First Class

in windows XP, If you right click on the shortcut to the game and select properties then go to the compatibility tab, you will see a check box that says:

Run this program in compatibility mode for:

check the box, then from the dropdown menu select Win 98, or 95 if that doesnt work.

I dont know ig 2K has this

5. Deep Thought

Deep Thought Private E-2

I'm ashamed you ask that... It's a different computer. 512MB RAM, Pentium 4 (2.5 GHz)

And I thank ye for thy help. I didn't bother trying yet but it is courtesy to give thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds