Question about 80mm cold cathode fans...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by the_reactor, Feb 16, 2004.

1. the_reactor

the_reactor Private E-2

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone perhaps knows if it is possible to modify cold-cathode fans and hook them up to on/off switches similar to tube cathodes. I would imagine there is a way to make it work. Has anyone been successful with this or attempted it?

Thanks.

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

do you mean the light in the fan you want to turn on and off, or the fan itself? you could do that with a fanbus ...

3. ChrisC

ChrisC Private First Class

Do you mean LED fans? I have a few, and as far as i can tell, the only way to turn the lights off would be to cut the wires from the lights to the main power lines, then soder these to some other wires, and run them into a babybus/switch. you would have to wire all the lights together, then run that pair of wires to the switch. Quite a bit of work, but, it should work.
    also, my LED fans lights dim when i adjust the voltage with my rheo.

4. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

ive got two cold cathode fans and the lights work independetly to the actual fans
    so as chris mentioned i split the wires and ran them off to a switch then ran the wires back from the switch
    i did in fact make my own rheobus with lights and switches for all my cathodes looks good from the front but if you could see the mess hidden in the empty cd drive it would make you cry took me two days to wire it all up

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds