question about 939 cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by subwyking, Feb 18, 2005.

1. subwyking

subwyking Private E-2

just wondering what you guys think the best aftermarket cpu heatsink/fan combo is for the amd 939 socket

<--B-->

2. Sebass

Sebass Private E-2

Without a doubt the combination of Arctic Silver 5 and the Venus 12 HSF is unmatched...FWIW I got the best price on the Venus 12 at Dealsonic...

I am running an AMD 64 3000+ 939 and have it overclocked 10% so the internal core is running at 1.98 instead of 1.8 and am getting 32 degree idle temps...which is crazy...and the fan sits at around 3500 RPM...it has adjustable fan speed which is great...

I also lapped my HSF which I feel was worth the time and effort and although I was not perfect I think it made a difference. Lapping is when you use very fine sand paper to smooth the surface of your HSF even further to get rid of factory machined grooves allowing for even better heat transfer...a search on google supplied the steps although you don't have to be to quite as anal retentive as some of those guys....

3. subwyking

subwyking Private E-2

well im not interested in overclocking just yet. its all new to me. i went from a p4 1.8ghz to an amd 64 3200 (939) so im still gawking at how fast it seems to me. i just want to keep it cool. my cpu monitor says my average temp is 42 c wtih the stock hsf combo. is this about average? i have plenty of fans in my case. oh yeah one thing i did forget to check and im too lazy to look, but do you know if the stock hsf push or pulls air?

<--B-->

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Your temps are exactly where they should be maybe a little low.
    Why waste money on aftermarket cooling?
    With the stock hsf you can manage a moderate overclock when you decide to
    There are no advantages.
    The only thing that could happen is you brake something changing it.
    youv got a great system
    The stock hsf pushes but you can always flip it but you might void your 3 year warrantee,dont know if amd will know if you flip it back,if you send it to them.

5. subwyking

subwyking Private E-2

i guess thats good info to know. i have a fan on the side of my case pulling air out, do you think i should flip it to where its sucking air in? it seems like the cpu fan and the case fan might be working against each other.

<--B-->

6. subwyking

subwyking Private E-2

took the advise and bought Venus 12 along with some AS5. no drastic change in temp yet, but a few degrees. if anyone out there knows, my mobo has a fan speed control built into it. it varies the rpm's of the fan based off the temp. anyone know how to set up the venus 12 so it will run off the mobo and not the controllers the venus 12 came with?

7. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

You'd need to do some funky electronic jiggery pokery to get the motherboard header to control the speed of the fan, probably not worth the effort. If you're into electronics, you might be interested, it can be done, but like I said its a bit err, tricky.

8. Kid in old Body

Kid in old Body Private E-2

My 939 3400+ idles all day around 30.5 to 31c with Thermaltake aquarius II water cooling. When I first started this system I forgot to plug in the radiator fan!! System locked up and wow the water lines were cooking. AMD makes a good chip because it did not fry.

9. Sebass

Sebass Private E-2

You won't see dramatic results for a week or two...just make sure you let your PC turn off every once in awhile for it to set...I should see what my idle would be if I wasn't OC'd but I don't want to! :D

10. subwyking

subwyking Private E-2

sebass,
    how did you put the AS5 on? did you put a layer over the whole chip or just a dab in the center like the AS web page suggests?

11. CLarKEY

CLarKEY Private Epilepic Seizure Inducer

my xp64 3200+ with the stock heatsink and fan runs at 24 degrees cel. idle i have never seen it jump above 28

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds