question about a file in my temp folder

Discussion in 'Software' started by Amethyst_08, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Amethyst_08

Amethyst_08 Corporal

I was just looking into this folder, as I was thinking it was getting rather large and should be cleaned up. It's the C\Documents and Settings\(my computer's name)Administrator\Local Settings\Temp. This folder contained an .exe with an oddball name of 16hc3gjg.exe. When I right click on properties, first I have a lot of tabs: General, Program, Font, Memory, Screen, Compatibility, and Summary. I'll type in what I have on this thing.

General tab
    Properties:
    Type: Application
    Description: 16hc3gjg

Size: 76 bytes
    Size on disk: 4 kB

Created: July 24/07 6:33:45 p.m.
    Modified: same as above
    Accessed: today's date and time

Program tab

Has the Dos icon
    If I click on the advanced button I get a window with "Windows PIF Settings" at the top, underneath that in blue "Custom MS-DOS initialization files", and then:
    Autoexec filename: %SystemRoot%\System32\Autoexec.NT
    Config file name: %SystemRoot%\System32\Config.NT

Font tab
    I have available types and size. There is a small windows preview which shoes what looks like a command prompt screen. The Font preview shows what looks like a comman prompt screen as well.

Memory tab
    Has a checkmark in 'uses HMA' Conventional memory is set to auto. Initial environment is set to auto. MS Dos protected mode memory total is set to auto. (I don't know what any of this stuff means.)

Screen tab
    Has options for full screen or window. Window is checked.

Misc tab

Lots of stuff here, like 'foreground', a check in 'allow screensaver', a check in 'always suspend' under 'Background', a check in 'warn if still active' under 'Termination'. There is a setting for 'Idle sensitivity' which shows a slider and that is set midway. There is a check in a 'fast pasting' option. There are checks in all the boxes that show a bunch of windows shortcut keys.

I have scanned this .exe at virustotal and jotti, as well as with my own resident AVG, Malwarebytes, and Superantispyware, all of which are fully up to date. I never see this running in my processes list. It doesn't show up on a hijack this log. I had done a full backup scan with Kaspersky's online scanner on March 31 and nothing was amiss. I have no evidence of anything wrong with this system, there's just this weird little thing sitting in my temp folder and I don't know what it is or how it got there or if it's safe to delete it or at least send it to the recycle bin for a trial. Yesterday, Virustotal said it appears to be a plain text file. Today it is identifying it as a "RealMedia meta file". The MD Hash is 9b4c47272f798b3d7140f2f4d6666273, if that helps at all. It still scans clean.

I don't know how long this has been sitting in my temp folder. I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't made any attempt to clean it out, but I'm trying to pay more attention to these details now, considering what stuff can hide in temp folders.

Can this be safely deleted or moved to the recycle bin? Is there a better way to find out other than the hard way (such as moving it and then not being able to boot into Windows??)

Thanks!

2. Amethyst_08

Amethyst_08 Corporal

Oops, sorry about the typos. :-o

3. Amethyst_08

Amethyst_08 Corporal

Update. Scanned the file at virustotal again this morning, same results. I looked around for other files with the same sort of icon (a DOS thing) and those had the same properties with all those tabs. Took the plunge this morning and moved the file to the recycle bin, then rebooted. So far, nothing seems to be amiss. There are a couple of other .exe's in that temp folder from around that same time period, but they have the download manager icon from an online music vendor that I purchased some songs from. I'm wondering if this other oddball .exe was related to possibly having listened to some music clips on Amazon, which are played with a realplayer program. I otherwise don't use RealPlayer at all. Virustotal did say the file was a "RealMedia metafile".

I had been considering using CCleaner to clean out this folder, but it seems to delete things forever and I didn't want to do that just yet until I knew what it was I was deleting. Would CCleaner somehow know NOT to delete something critical? (I have CCleaner installed, I've just never used it...I'm a rather anxious and over-cautious computer user.)

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Could well be a temp file from the likes of an online media player in the types that the likes of Amazon may need you to install to listen to the samples, I would run CCLeaner as noting in a temp folder is needed, most of the time the ones that reapear are log files from security apps, debug and misc .tmp files from various apps etc (note some may not be cleaned until after a reboot as they will if security apps be in use, and if cleaned may recreate themselves, to continue the logging options.

But the rest are junk installer files that are not cleaned up once the app is installed, but what you could do is copy the temp folder to anotehr location then delete the main temp folders contents. But CCLeaner in all the years I have used it has not deleted anything critial if you leave its settings as default.

5. Amethyst_08

Amethyst_08 Corporal

OK, thanks Halo. (I've been away from home and missed seeing your response until today.)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds