Question about automatic Microsoft updates ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by TJ22, Apr 25, 2007.

1. TJ22

TJ22 Private E-2

How can I find out if my computer is receiving automatic Microsoft updates through Windows? To my knowledge I have never personally downloaded any updates, which I gather now from reading posts on MG that I should be doing this. I just read somewhere that my computer could already be set up to receive the updates on its own, but now I don't know how to figure out if it is or not.

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

START> Control Panel > Automatic Updates.

3. TJ22

TJ22 Private E-2

If I go to START and then Control Panel it says :

Pick a Catagory :

Apperance and Themes
    Network and Internet Connections
    Add or Remove Programs
    Sound, Speech, and Audio Devices
    Preformance and Maintenance
    Printers and Other Hardware
    User Accounts
    Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options
    Accessibility Options
    Security Center

I don't see Automatic Updates. Does that mean my computer is not setup for it, or is it listed under one of these catagories ? I have looked but I don't see it.

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

OK...you have your menu set in Category View is all.

Go START> Control Panel> Performance and Maintenance> See basic information about your computer, then click the Automatic Updates tab in the window that pops up.

5. TJ22

TJ22 Private E-2

Got it. Thanks. It says my computer is set up to automatically download recommended updates and install them everyday at 3:00AM.

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

That's good...that's the default. Mostly it automatically installs what it downloads and you don't need to do anything. Some times you will see a yellow shield icon in the bottom right taskbar. If you hover your mouse over this it will pop up a message telling you if any action is required manually by you, so that is worth just keeping an eye out for :)

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

As a random passing note as Lev has superbly covered the AUTO Updates bit, The following is not always the case as some important updates may come out at random times but Microsoft issues updates to current supported OSes on the 2nd Tuesday of each month ( they may miss some months depending if updates are ready )

So to check whats coming or is just released always have a read of the Software Forum and the top stickies from NICK_ADSL_UK http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=122321 as they tell you all about which updates are available, I find it good just to have a quick look in Add/Remove "show updates" to at the KB numbers just see if I have had them installed.

8. TJ22

TJ22 Private E-2

:eek: People like me should probally not have computers :eek: Thanks for telling me this. That yellow sheild icon is there right now actually. I have no idea when it got there, I don't remember seeing it before. I will definitely keep a look out for it from now on. :)

9. TJ22

TJ22 Private E-2

All I can say is ....confused confused confused :eek: :eek: :eek:

10. TJ22

TJ22 Private E-2

I don't think it's working right. Maybe it's because my computer has been running soooo slow this last week. I clicked on the sheild and it said it was updating, but it's been there for about an hour and 20 min and the progress bar at the bottom shows nothing. ? So I'm guessing it's not working right. It shouldn't take that long should it ?

11. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/default.aspx

My preference is to use Windows Update and Office Update, links listed above. Prefer doing it manually. Check Windows Update weekly, and Office Update monthly, unless I am aware of updates being released. Have one machine set to Automatic Updates, it is the only one with Internet Explorer 7 on it. You will need to download Active X controls to use these sites, and Microsoft Update is no exception

12. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

That all depends when you last ran it, how out of date your computer is, how big the files are it is downloading and your download speed. For example, if you are still runnning XP SP1 and have only a dial up connection, it will take a very long time to download the SP2 update....a VERY VERY long time. Let it run overnight if you can....

13. TJ22

TJ22 Private E-2

Oh. My computer is 2 1/2 years old, and I do only have dial up so I guess it will take a long time. Especailly with how slow my computer has been running recently. Actually taking that into consideration it could take a week or more to update :eek: . It just took about 2 minutes for just this page to come up.
    Also, I don't know if I'm still running XP SP1 because I don't even know what it is.

My only other question is, do I have to be signed on overnight for the update to download ?
    Just wondering because my husband hates when I tie up the phone line for so long.

14. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

To see if you have XP SP2 running go Start> Control Panel> Add remove programs and scroll down to see if Windows XP SP2 program is listed. If it isn;t you would need to leave dial-up connected for as along as it takes to download the update, and yes, this could mean as long as overnight, as it is a very big download.

15. TJ22

TJ22 Private E-2

I guess I don't have it. The only thing I see that says anything about Windows is : Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803)

So I guess I will be signed on all night tonight downloading SP2 (and perhaps all day tommorrow as well with my slow computer :eek: )

Thanks for all the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds