Question about computer I'm building.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by m1k3y, Jul 6, 2007.

1. m1k3y

m1k3y Private E-2

So it's been years since I've built a pc and I finally have all the parts. I just wanted to ask one question before I power on my newly built pc. I have an Ultra computer case with an Abit mobo and my question is how can I ensure that my mobo won't short out. The mobo mentioned something about safegaurding the mobo from shorting out by securing it properly to the computer case. They mentioned the use of studs or spacers but my Ultra computer case has a raised platform specifically for the mobo so I had no room to insert any kind of stud or spacers. The mobo is completely secured against the case platform where the back of the mobo's solder is making contact with the case. Is this a problem? Thanks in advance.

-Mikey

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Yeah, I wouldn't power on my machine without standoffs between the motherboard and the case. The case acts like a ground, and the standoffs will keep the mobo from shorting out on it.

The case should have come with SOMETHING, if you haven't bought it from some dodgy second-hand retailer. Little plastic inserts are probably most common, but I've also seen alot of cases with little brass-ish screws.

3. m1k3y

m1k3y Private E-2

I bought the case and mobo from TigerDirect so it is legit. The mobo came with the studs and spacers but like I said this case has this raised platform so if I attempt to use a spacer or stud the I/O section will not align properly. I have no room for anything extra. Perhaps the platform is grounded already. I imagine the design is like this on purpose. I'm just not sure. I will see if I can take pics after work.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Okay... this seems off to me.

You're saying the MOTHERBOARD came with the standoffs? The case should have those. The motherboard manufacturer has no way of knowing what kind of standoffs the case will accept.

Have you replaced the backplane? The motherboard should have come with the "I/O Section" to fit your motherboard perfectly. If you haven't replaced this little piece of metal, that could explain your problems with alignment.

I have an Ultra Case at home myself, so I think I know what you mean by 'raised platform'. I've got standoffs on my own, and it works.

[​IMG]

5. m1k3y

m1k3y Private E-2

That is exactly the case I have. Funny how you hit it right on the nail. Yes I have replaced he I/O backplane with the provided one from Abit. The mobo fits right on with the provided backplane but the mobo is directly screwed on to the "raised platform" you see in the photo of the computer case. Is this okay?

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Heh... we have the same case!

However, I find it baffling that you can't manage to use the standoffs! I would NOT run current through that motherboard without them. I've seen users here fry their mobo doing that.

Sadly, I'm not sure how I would advise you in this situation.
    As I said, I have the same case, I AM using the little brass screws, and I don't have a problem with alignment. Hmmmm......

What about the little holes between the raised areas? Can you align your motherboard to fit on those?

Do you know what form factor your motherboard is??

I could take another look at my case just to be certain this is how I've got mine setup, but I have a strong feeling it is.

7. m1k3y

m1k3y Private E-2

The mobo is screwed right onto those raised holes you speak of. This is the mobo that I have:

http://www.uabit.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=48&page=1&model=329

Photos of your setup would be nice. I will take photos today after work.

8. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Okay, you're using a micro ATX motherboard, and the case can take a micro ATX board. You're good there.

IIRC, the holes you SHOULD be using are labeled MicroATX... have you made sure to line your motherboard up with those?

9. m1k3y

m1k3y Private E-2

10. m1k3y

m1k3y Private E-2

Okay I was able to take pics of the mobo screwed onto the case. Hopefully this will clear up some questions and answer mine as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. m1k3y

m1k3y Private E-2

Here are the studs and screws that came with the mobo.

[​IMG]

12. m1k3y

m1k3y Private E-2

Bump for help.

13. m1k3y

m1k3y Private E-2

Anyone else care to chime in?

14. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Luckily, I had my computer with me today.

I just checked, and I can't believe I did this, but I'm using BOTH the raised areas and the brass screws.

I too, have my motherboard screwed directly to the case (in places), so I guess you're not as bad off as I suspected. I apologize for the confusion.

Seems I was mistaken. The spacers/studs are to keep the OTHER parts of the mobo from shorting out, not so much the areas CLOSE to the mounting screws. The raised areas should substitute.

Again, I apologize, I just didn't want you toasting that nice new mobo.

15. m1k3y

m1k3y Private E-2

Thanks for replying. I am getting my PS and optical drives this wednesday. Woohoo!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds