Question about CPU temp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dlb, Jan 21, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

What is the normal operating temperature for an Athlon64 X2 5400+ Windsor running at stock speeds (2.80ghz)? What is considered hot, or too hot? At idle, the cores run as high as 48c, and as low as 42c. I know these aren't even close to dangerous temps, but they do seem a bit high for idle. I recently installed a new MB, CPU, and RAM to replace an Athlon64 3200+; it ran about 10c cooler but I'm assuming that's because it's not as powerful... No worries here, just kind of curious... Thanks!

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thats pretty close to stock temperatures, with the stock HSF, WITHOUT cool and quiet.

With CnQ, you should see a 10c temperature drop.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks for the info. After doing some more monitoring, I noticed that the CPU temp rises by only 4 or 6 degress (at the most) under a heavy load (whilst gaming) and rarely breaks 50c. What exactly does CnQ do?

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Drops the frequency and voltages to cool it when idle.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds