question about ethernet cable for xbox

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fretway, May 12, 2008.

1. fretway

fretway Private E-2

i need a much longer cable then the one that came with the system, can i just buy any kind of cable?? do i just need to get a category 5??? thanks in advanced

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

From my Google Fu, I thinks you need Cat5 cable and RJ45 jacks. You can buy pre made cables at most computer shops. Or bust out and get this: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CT-CAT5E-1000-6U&cat=NET (everything is great except for the RJ45 jacks, toss these and buy good ones.)

Welcome to MajorGeeks by the way! :D

E

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  3. Lanfear

Lanfear Private First Class

You can use any kind of ct5 cable pretty much. I have about a 50ft cable running between my router and my 360. I refused to pay 100 bux for a wireless adapter that should have been built in to the unit in the first place.

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Why should microsoft add a extra piece of hardware, that costs more money, in every xbox, when many dont need it?

5. Lanfear

Lanfear Private First Class

because I also have a Wii that cost almost half as much that had the ability built in and it works flawlessly... lousy M$ so and so's.

On a side note I am really hoping that your comment was meant sarcastically. It's hard to tell in type.

6. fretway

fretway Private E-2

thanks, i bought a 100 ft cable for 20 incl. shipping, now i just need to get call of duty 4 and im set

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds