Question about Firefox Add-ons and Preventing Malware

Discussion in 'Software' started by Brown18, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Brown18

Brown18 Private E-2

What do you think about anonymous software, and firefox add-ons like switchproxy and stealther? Do they prevent malware? Do you have any Firefox add-on recommendations for effective internet security?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You can not be anonymous on the internet.
    In order for the post office to deliver mail to you, they need to know the address where you accept mail.
    In order for the internet to deliver web pages to your computer, a server somewhere needs to know the address of your computer so you can view the pages. Some server (or more than one) knows exactly where you computer is located and what web pages you want to view. If this information wasn't known, you get a 404 error for every page that you tried to load.
    The perception that you are anonymous is just that, a perception.

You do not protect the browser; you protect the computer so that things delivered to your computer don't come with nasties you don't want.

The computer needs: a firewall, one antivirus (monitoring in real time), one malware detector (monitoring in real time). You might be able to get two of these things in one program.

To lessen your chance of clicking on something you don't want and installing something not healthy for your computer, you can run noscript in Firefox. This turns off javascript and you are able to turn it on for certain sites either permanently or temporarily. I also run something called WOT (web of trust) which shows me when I use google to search, sites to avoid or to approach with caution.

3. Brown18

Brown18 Private E-2

I have Avast anti-virus, and Webroot Spy Sweeper, and Comodo firewall. But I will install NoScript add-on.

Thanks for your timely response.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds