question about getting files from an old machine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dr. Woodz, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Dr. Woodz

Dr. Woodz Private E-2

my friend passed his old 'puter, a 586 still running win 95 with two usb ports on the back... now there's some files on there we'd really like to grab, is it possible to get my Sony spressa usb cd burner to burn the files, or do i have to take the hd out and grab it from inside someone else's machine?

2. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

If your Sony Spressa has drivers compatible with Windows 95, and the USB ports work with your version of Windows 95 installed. Some versions of 95 do not support USB.

If not, than you can do what you said, install the HD as a slave in another system.

3. Dr. Woodz

Dr. Woodz Private E-2

yep, i'm unable to get this thing to burn... trying to compress the files so i can upload them and then take them from the web... if i can't do that successfully, is there a service somewhere i can take my hd to extract the data inexpensively?

4. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

I do exactly that. If your interested, send me a PM or an email: 63galaxie at msn dot com. I tried to PM you but looks like you have it turned off.

Steve

5. aLLiKZar

aLLiKZar It's not too late to back out!

Why not just slave the drive into your PC and grab the files necessary
    and copy them onto your harddrive. Probably the quickest and free.

6. Dr. Woodz

Dr. Woodz Private E-2

my main pc is a laptop. {:I>

i'll get pms turned on here i a minute

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds